Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland international league!?

this is going to be a great competition. Pity that the English FA dont like the idea. I feel it would make each home team better. Before any English mention we are all weak teams - please remember super david healy of Leeds!! Should England take part ?? Not sure about R.O.I as that could cause problems against England and N. Ireland ?

yep England at lansdowne road was the example.

Jemma - im not even going to lower myself to your level.

Favorite Answer

Why shouldn't the English take part in a revived Home International Tournament, pointless not playing the team that most would consider the best out of the four.

Won't ever happen though, the risk of flare ups between the fans, especially the English and the Jocks, as well as the Welsh and anyone (been to Cardiff City as an Englishman?) I don't think the F.A. would risk having all the good work against hooliganism being trashed in one foul stroke.

The police would object strongly, and the New Wembley would be trashed by ginger blokes with skirts and little else on!

Israel0-1 Greece Lithuania 3-0 Liechtenstein Finland 1-0 Moldova Andorra 0-2 Armenia Azerbaijan 0-1 Belgium Russia 2-0 Macedonia Georgia 1-1 Latvia Malta 0-3 Croatia Turkey 4-0 Kazakhstan Belarus 1-3 Bosnia-Hercegovina Luxembourg 0-2 Romania Hungary 1-1 Sweden Norway 0-0 Iceland Bulgaria 1-1 England Netherlands 5-0 San Marino Cyprus 0-5 Portugal Faroe Islands 0-7 Italy Germany 2-1 Austria Northern Ireland 2-1 Serbia Rep of Ireland 2-2 Slovakia Slovenia 1-1 Estonia Wales 0-0 Montenegro Albania 0-2 France Scotland1-1 Czech Republic! COYS!

it used to e a great little tourny when it was first on the go (so my dad tells me anyhow)

i cant see why we couldn't play it without England. the Roi would be OK. there's a ceasefire on you know!!!lol

it would give us a chance to play regular internationals and earn our fa's a few quid into the bargain.

if it was started the format should maybe be something like the 6 nations rugby tournament with everyone just playing each other once. it would mean that there wouldn't be a whole deluge of fixtures being added to an already full list.

maybe once every 2 or 3 years as well.

I'm English and i think it's a great idea. only trouble is when would it be played? the football season is already packed. I can only see positives with this though. Even if Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are weaker sides it gives them a regular chance to play against a higher ranked team and helping them find their team spirit. Against England they would try anything to beat them.

Source(s): English Football fan living in Wales

They had this competition 40 years ago called the Home International Championship but it ended in 1983 because of the "troubles" in Northern Ireland. And yes there is no way the Republic of Ireland would agree to play!

They had the home international matches which were really popular with the supporters. They stopped it because they were complaining about having to play so many matches. Also they do not get paid enough for home internationals. When England pulled out of them the competition fell apart.

I was there in the late 70s when Wales beat England 4-1 in one of the last such games.It was a great competition, I hope it comes back...I would include Rep of Ireland too (now there is a peace agreement) to make it a 5 nations competition.

If party pooping England don't play you could call it the Celtic Cup.

It was scrapped in 1983 because of extremely low attendences for some of the games.

But it was the worlds oldest international tournament.

Maybe play it once every 4 years like they do with other competitions?

No disrespect intended, but it would be a distraction for England, whereas it would be a big money spinner for the other home countries, plus Ireland if they're invited and that revenue could be reinvested in football at ground roots to help develop young talent.

English football might lack many things, but money isn't one of them.

... And why the f*** would England want to waste time AND money, in playing stupid little games with countries like Wales, Scotland & Ireland ???

Sorry to disapoint you dears but we have much more important countries to play than you !!

It's pretty obvious who would win the league anyway .. England !?! .. Then all the jocks, sheep shaggers etc. would all go back to their boring countries and cry their little hearts out =[