Geraldine asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Getting rid of a rat?

How do i get rid of a rat in my bedroom. My puppy sleeps in our room and i dont want to put out anything dangerous.

You need a new husband.

• Suzi

Rats. Anyone who's ever owned them or had one as an uninvited guest will tell you - they're smart.

I don't recommend poison - ever. Not worth the risk.

However, having dealt with two pesky rats within the last few years...I recommend that you clean your room. Somewhere along the floor, or wall you most likely have access holes that your rat has chewed through, to get in. I found my hole, under the carpet in a corner. The carpet itself was untouched.

A thorough search revealed a a few more holes.

After trying a variety of traps, and tricks...nothing worked.

My solution was to purchase several cans of great stuff spray-in foam insulator - the stuff in a can. Looks like yellow whipped cream when it's wet. I filled every hole I could find.

I'm not sure if I killed the rat, with the foam...or if it (they), relocated to another apartment...but I haven't seen or heard a rat for months.

If you use this foam, use caution - it's nasty when it's wet. Like super glue. It takes at least an hour to dry. Make sure that no one...including your puppy touches it until it's completely dry. When it's dry, it can be trimmed easily with a plain steak knife.

Just a tip, if you do live trap a rat - take it far, far from home... and don't drop it off by someone else's house either.

Assuming you want to kill the rat to protect the dog, place a rat trap (humane or otherwise) behind something where the puppy can't get to (the next room where the vermin travels would be best), bait the trap with PEANUT BUTTER AND HONEY (maple syrup will do if no honey).

I have NEVER seen a rodent last the night with that bait on it in three generations.

Can't you use a rat trap? Put it somewhere behind your closet or something where your puppy can not get hold of the trap. Good luck hope you catch the rat.

• ?

Make for your puppy a sort of raised cot !! If you get my meaning ..Now as it becomes early eve .. meaning SHORTLY after the sun goes down... wrap some poison in a slice of sandwhich/deli or even scraps from your meal-plate !! then cut that into about tree parts & spread them around or place a portion just NEAR the areas you see it roaming around most often !!or mix a jalepeno~pepper with cut up meat !! mainly for the scent & when you hear it scream WATER Pah;LeeZzz`e` then you jump out with broom in hand & "WhAm,`Oo'`e`' H`ah',a,' instant coma `'R'`r.r'r`r.'->

you have to keep the puppy out of the room until you kill the rat. put up one of those gates across your doorway and put down some poison mixed with peanuts. after the rat is dead go back to business as usual.

Just let your puppy walk around in your room it will find the rat and kill it but make sure it doesn't eat it.

• RAT POISON! NOT ON THE FLOOR, THE RAT CAN GO TO UPPER SHELVES AND EVEN IN THE DRAWERS IN YOUR DRESSER. THEY CAN CLIMB LIKE A SQUIRREL WITH OUT THE BUSHY TAIL. PUT THE POISON WHERE THE DOG CAN'T CLIMB TO. DON'T OPEN THE RAT POISON PACKETS, THE RAT LIKES TO OPEN EVERYTHING, IT WILL DO IT SELF IN.

I own two rats :(

get a cat!