What is the difference between a game and a sport and an art?

I've read the answers to similar questions, but I am still not clear.

Some people have said that sports tests a person's physical skills and endurance. If so, what about bowling? That's not really an endurance sport. It tests skill, though.

What category does pool/billiards come under? What about darts?

What about figure skating, which tests skills and endurance as well as other things, but is a solo or pair activity rated by judges. Would then ballroom dancing be considered a sport?

And what about stage combat - the kind of sword fighting you see in movies? That takes great skill, endurance, control, but like figure skating and ballroom dancing, it is choreographed. People are judged in it when they go for their certification. Could this be considered a sport? It's not really a game, but it can be considered an art.

I'm just so confused. Perhaps there isn't a clear line? I would really like to get some help on understanding the difference between sports and games.

Update:

MB - I love the quote! lol. I can not imagine a life-threatening injury arising from bowling, yet it is considered a sport.

Silver Fox - thanks for the definitions, though it doesn't make things clearer to me. There seems to be a lot of overlap. I'm still not sure why somethings are considered a sport, while others that seem to fit the same categories aren't.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Definitions of sport:

1) Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2) A particular form of this activity.

3) An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

4) An active pastime; recreation.

Definitiond of game:

1) An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

2) a) A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.

b) A single instance of such an activity: We lost the first game.

c) GAMES: An organized athletic program or contest: track-and-field games; took part in the winter games. [like the Olympics]

d) A period of competition or challenge: It was too late in the game to change the schedule of the project.

3) a) The total number of points required to win a game: One hundred points is game in bridge.

b) The score accumulated at any given time in a game: The game is now 14 to 12.

4) The equipment needed for playing certain games: packed the children's games in the car.

5) A particular style or manner of playing a game: improved my tennis game with practice.

Definitions of art:

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.

3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.

4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.

5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.

6. (in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?

7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.

8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods.

9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.

10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.

11. arts, a. (used with a singular verb) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences.

b. (used with a plural verb) liberal arts.

12. skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.

13. trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.

14. studied action; artificiality in behavior.

15. an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.

16. Archaic. science, learning, or scholarship.

And a definition of hobby:

1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

• Josy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

difference game sport art

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be a sport you must have the chance to have a life threatening injury.

signed,

George Carlin

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.