high pitched whine from tv?

why do my tv and computer moniter sometimes give off a very high pitched noise that can sometimes get to the point where i have to turn it off? what causes them to do that? it isnt coming from the speakers either.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no kidding, "capacitor squeal"? I think that only applies to "flux capacitors".

Anyways, the squeal is the horizontal scanning frequency. Any coil or transformer in the horizontal drive and output stages can develop bad solder connections, or simply loosen up. The deflection yoke can also cause this. I've always used hot glue for this fix. Get an insulated stick and poke around on the chassis until you locate the culprit, then cover it with hot glue.

Source(s): +30yrs repairing
  • 1 decade ago

There is lots of high frequency circuitry inside a televisions and monitors this can sometimes cause internal components to vibrate and hence the noise. A good service engineer might be able to track it down and either resolder or glue the relavent components but that could cost a lot.

I have this problem on my lcd monitor, it can be removed by turning up the brightness for some reason.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's gotta be a capacitor in there. I know that there is a phenomenon known as capacitor squeal, created by the slow discharge leak in the capacitors. Don't know what else it could be but that.

• 1 decade ago

My monitor's fine, but my TV's volume is turned up too high and I'm just too lazy to turn it down. I know that it isn't what you were looking for, but start with the small things first... ;)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

its the high voltage transformer take to repair shop

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.