3 medium sized kidneys
3 pints meat stock
piece of celery or a quarter teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium sized onion
small bunch of herbs or pinch of dried herbs
1 dessertspoon flour
1 dessertspoon ketchup
- Wash and dry the kidneys.
- Remove the fat and cut into small pieces.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Put the oil in a pan and when it is quite hot, add the onion.
- Fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the kidney and fry together until brown.
- Stir while the stock is gradually added.
- When boiling, remove any scum that appears on the top.
- Add the peppercorns, cloves, herbs and celery seed tied in muslin, and simmer over very gentle heat for 3 hours.
- Skim occasionally.
- Strain through a sieve into a bowl and leave until cold. Reserve kidney pieces for later.
- Skim off the fat and reheat the soup.
- Taste to check seasoning.
- Put back the pieces of kidney.
- Mix the flour with the tomato ketchup , and stir into the soup.
- Bring to the boil and stir whilst boiling for 3 minutes.
- It is advisable to cook the soup the day before it is required, if possible, as it must be quite cold before the fat can be removed. The soup must cook slowly on the lowest heat or else the kidney will be tough.