how do you concentrate on your prayer?

Is there a way to just walk out of daily life at any time you chose and concentrate on your prayer for a short while without thinking of anything else. Is there a methog for this? Only Muslims and Christians please.

The way I pray when I am in the midst of daily life is not quite the same as the way I pray early in the morning when I can be alone and quiet and undisturbed by life's business. As you point out, it is not easy for most of us to mentally "walk out" and "concentrate on prayer without thinking of anything else".

For me, the best solution has been to stop trying to do the impossible. Instead of trying to make the busy-ness of life go away, I invite God to come into the busy-ness with me. I can still go on thinking of whatever it is I am doing, but the conscious awareness of God's presence in the moment turns the activity itself into a kind of prayer.

To give some nuts-and-bolts examples of this method as it works for me:

I am waiting on customers, and there is a line, it's a hot day, I'm tired, and I'm hassled. I am getting a bit short and brusque with the people, pushing them through like widgets on an assembly-line, with an expression and manner that says, "You are bothering me, go away." I am certainly not mindful of God at the moment. Then, I take a deep breath, and I think, "He's here. He's standing in line, right in front of me. He's behind the counter with me, helping me work. He's here." I turn to the next person in line and really pay attention to that person, really extend "good vibes", with a manner and expression that say, "It's you! I'm so happy to see you here! What can I do for you? How can I help make your day better?" It's not just a matter of wearing a fake pasted-on smile. It's a whole attitude change. God is there, with me, and it is as if the air were suddenly charged with electricity, as if I had just seen my Love walk into the store and come towards me. I go on working, but the work has become a kind of prayer.

Another example: I am doing some kind of tiresome uncomfortable chore -- raking leaves, let us say, or shovelling the drive on a sleety frigid morning, or washing a sink full of greasy nasty pots and pans. I am feeling down and self-pitying and whiney about the whole thing. "How come I always get stuck with these jobs? My feet hurt, I'm sick of this, I wish I was sitting in my armchair with a cup of tea." Then I invite God into the picture. He is my honored guest, and this meal is being cooked for him, these pots and pans are being washed for him. This driveway is being prepared for him to walk on, this yard is being cleaned to celebrate his visit. Don't we humans go "all out" to spiff up the place when the president comes to town? When the public eye is on us? When the boss is coming to dinner? This is even bigger and better -- God himself is here! This is now a glowing honor I am engaged in, not a drudging chore.

Of course, I try to do the other, more meditative kind of praying, too. Usually early in the morning, when the world is still and dim and the day's noise has not yet broken my concentration. But when life is busy, I can't just "shut it off" and meditate. The "pray-as-you-go" method works for me. Maybe it won't work for everybody, but it can't hurt to try it and see.

Yes, it can be done. but it takes dedication, patience and perseverance. we live in a very busy world today where we are constantly bound by tight schedules, noise and the general hustle and bustle of life. it is indeed quite difficult to create quality quiet time for real, deep prayer in such an environment. but it can be done. the ideal conditions for truly concentrating on prayer include quiet and stillness, both on an environmental, mental and spiritual level. it may take some time to achieve this, but with dedication and true effort, you can learn to sometimes just find your own quiet time, shut out everything else in the world around you and really focus on God. spiritual and mental stillness is usually not something that comes instantly, but rather, is something that is developed by consistent practice over time. it takes time to clear your mind and soul, especially in today's busy, noisy environment. once you have mastered this art of achieving such stillness, no matter where you are or what you are doing, you can effectively make quality time for true, deep prayer.

~PhoeniX~

First is talk to your Heavenly Father openly... the more open you are the better the communication will be. He already knows what's in your heart and when you hold back you're only hurting yourself.

Second remember you can talk to God about anything you really want to talk about.

Third try not to be repetitious.

fourth ask God to teach you how to pray correctly and what to pray for... you'll find that as you do sincerely ask for this blessing your prayers will become much more meaningful.

It would also help if you were a member of God's true church... pray to him and ask him to lead you to his church on earth.

have a good day! :)

• MumOf5

Sometimes it's hard, but I often try to focus my praying by singing a hymn. I know lots of hymns and songs, so I can just pick one that fits what I'm trying to say to God, and sing it, either our loud or in my head. (A hymn or spiritual song is a form of prayer.)

Added:

I agree with dushdoosh... reading scripture every morning can really help to set the focus for the rest of the day.

Also, it helps to notice things around you and acknowledge your gratitude to God for those things. That way, each time you see something you are grateful for, you can put a little prayer of thanks into your heart. Then everything around you becomes a spiritual stimulus.

I prefer to pray at my lararium to Iuppiter every morning when I wake up (usually @ 6:20-ish AM) in Latin so that others and I may have a bountiful day.

Before I go to bed, I re-arrange the items on my lararium and pray to Somnus so that I may have a good sleep, and that others may as well in Latin (usually @ 9:45-ish PM)

i do alot of my praying on the go.

my method: switch thoughts in mid-course and direct them toward God, there are times when muttering to myself helps to concentrate if there happens to be loud noises around me.

...

other times of prayer is more quiet, during reading scriptures, i usually make prayers out of what i'm reading if it's something good that i want for me.

...

I tend to talk to God as I am doing stuff I do devote some quite time with him but I know he hear's everything I say to him even if a jackhammers going. and if I screw up in my prayer the Holy Spirit makes intersession for me. I do not think God expects us to lament and wail while we are praying as in the old testament. God enjoys hearing a thank you when something goes right or wrong. he also likes us to say things like "why did I just say that" when we say something we are not supposed to I think it gives him satisfaction in he is making progress with us. any recognition of God in your mind or on your lips is music to God.

• timjim

I try to have conversational prayer when ever I can. I talk to God like He is my friend and He is right there with me.

Turn off your mobile,remove distractions,meditate or read Quran before praying (set the mood) & remember the way you pay attention to your boss & compare it to the attention you should pay your God.

Try meditation. It's not just for Buddhists anymore.

Source(s): No really. I'm serious. There is plenty of information on Christian/Muslim meditation on the internet. Meditation figures prominently in both the Old and New Testaments, and Jesus was a prolific meditator.