a m
Lv 4
a m asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

whats the best program to compress video files??

i have a avi file 800mb, i would like to compress this so i can put it on a cd and watch it on a dvd player, whats the best program free or otherwise .

thanks

Update:

i have nero ultra edtion, i have compressed it to 210mb but when i burn this to a single cd using nero so i can view it on a dvd player, the file always gets bigger than the cd and fails to burn the cd, cant understand this

i dont mind losing quality of sound over picture quailty

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Audio Video Interleave is already a shrunken format where the two streams of Audio and Video have been interleaved.

Shrinking it would result in read errors which would render it useless.

Either way, If you burned n avi file to a disc, it couldn't be played on a CD Player, because they play only .dat files.

You'd need a avi to .dat converter to do that first, in the first place.

Try the trialware at the link I've given you below.

You'll need to buy it, if you want to continue using it, though.

All the best.

Cheers!

ST

• 1 decade ago

WinAVI is video reformating software that will let you convert your AVI file to amongst other things either VCD, SVCD or KVCD. If you opt for KVCD the programme automatically seeks to compress the file upon conversion to MPEG to under 700MB so that it fits on one CD. Most DVD home players can recognise this filetype. It has built in burner software, but if you have VCD Easy software installed on your PC use this to burn the disc it is far superior at the task.

cheers

Gray

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

unless your dvd player plays divx or xvid your gonna have to convert it to either dvd or vcd, it is gonna look crap no matter what.

TMPEG encoder should do it and you can use it to split the file into CD sized files, it can take a long time. No matter what it won't fit on one CD, one DVD yes but not one CD.

It should fit on 2 CD's if you convert it to VCD

http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/e_main.html

• 1 decade ago

You could try DVD shrink, which was free, or DVDsanta which can convert AVI to Pal for viewing on TV's it also has a DVD burner on the program but dont forget that the U.K system is PAL

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Use Nero. Create SVCDs. You might need 2 or 3 discs, but you won't lose quality.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Hi,

This is a good link for downloading Isobuster for free http://bit.ly/1k3yX4l

Give it a try

Good Bye

• an16
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
  • 1 decade ago

isobuster ... search on google where to download it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.