Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

My computer keeps shutting down randomly?

i have just fixed the problem with my computer and now i have ran into another problem where i can boot into windows and it logs on but then powers off and restarts itself with no warning. i have looked at the CPU tempertaure and System temperature and it is normal temperature so it cant be overheating, does anyone know how to fix this problem?

i have tried reformatting the comp and loading back on and i had a problem installing windows because it kept shutting the computer down

the only way i can get it booting into normal windows xp is to clear the CMOS of the bios, doing that will work and it will stay on until i want 2 switch it off, i thought that solved the problem but then i restarted the computer and it went off after 10 seconds of logging on

mine does this too someti

A driver conflict or a driver not recognised by windows Maybe?

A program not compatible

with your OS is causing a Automatic restart

to stop further pc data damage

do you see the message similar to:

"Microsoft Has Encountred and recovered from a serious error"?

This Message usually appears after it restarts and you are logged back on?

IN my experience and general opinion a complete reinstall of the OS is the best option,

Or you can try a System restore!

Or on boot up press and hold f8

then using the arrow keys

on the keyboard scroll to LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION-Then Press Enter

It could be a memory problem shutdown your system take out the memory get a paint brush (Clean) not used brush inside where the memory sits also brush memory sticks, put it back in and see if the problem persists. If it does you need a programe called memcheck, get some one you know to download it and write it to disc for you and then go to bios change first boot device to cd-rom. When it boots up you will get a blue page if numbers inflate (appear at bottom of page) your memory as expired (blown) replace memory...

If your Windows won`t start, this could be because there`s something wrong in your BIOS settings.

Sometimes your PC won`t boot if the BIOS has been modified in some way. If this is the case then your best course of action is to reset your BIOS settings to their default mode.

You can do this via Setup Mode, whch you can activate by pressing "F2" when Windows begins to load. When your BIOS setup utility opens, navigate to the relevant screen and reset your BIOS to its default settings. Save the changes and close the BIOS setup utility and re-boot your PC.

Windows should now start normally.

:-)

Source(s): Windows

check these settings

start up options - hibernate - shut down -screen saver password

go to start at bottom of screen in blue bar (task bar)

go to control panel

choose power options

choose never to all listed there or the settings you want

choose apply then choose ok

if you want to hibernate

then choose hibernate

click advanced choose hibernate

then click hibernate

click enable hibernate

make sure you click apply and ok to everything

also click advanced tab choose show icon on desk top

then you can push power button

windows will close

push button again and you are where you was again

computer does not have to do all that work again

password protected screen saver is good

i use it my self

do this by

close all windows

right click on open area of desk top

choose properties

choose screen saver

choose password protect on resume

this will be your password as you are the administrator

be sure to set the time for screen saver to come on

or and

press the windows key logo + L at the same time located on the key bord

to lock it. when you unlock it will ask for password

check scheduled tasks

do this way

go to start

control panel

scheduled tasks

check whats there if any thing

or add one if you want to or remove one there

----------------------------------------------

According to Microsoft OS stop errors are almost always caused by driver(s). The only way to find out which driver is causing the stop errors is by trial. Start by uninstalling all software that you have installed after the problem started. If that ends the OS stop errors then, one by one, reinstall the software. You must give your computer time before each installation to see if the software is causing the stop error. This takes time but it is the only way to discover which software driver is causing the problem. Good Luck!

Source(s): Microsoft

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the Reset switch was faulty, all i did was take the Reset switch lead off the motherboard and all works fine.

It took me hours to figure it out, i tried taking out memory and new memory setups, disabling drives etc, checked BIOS settings/temps, Changed PSU too.Then came to the Reset switch, and as i said, my pc has had no problems since.

Just an idea...

P.s... to all those who think its software related... i think you are wrong, its more than likely a hardware fault, could even be the battery...

Source(s): Been building/fixing Pc's for 15 years...
  • Mike C

I would use the computer recovery method supplied by the manufacturer to restore the computer to as new condition.

Or delete and re-install the operating system from your windows disk.

Save your data if you can before you start.

Have you added any new hardware lately ??

if so what was it

and is your power supply capable of supporting it all

does the computer log off and shut down or just go blank straight away ?

please elaborate further and i will do my best to help you

delete every single thing in it and then reformat it. mine had that problem too, and I fixed it like that. I had a feeling Norton antivirus had something to do with it coz I refused to update it after it kept asking me.

I recommend to clean up the register in order to improve your pc performances and get rid of malwares. A good program you can use is CCleaner http://j.mp/UrAK6Z