Delenn S asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Do neutered or not neutered cats live longer?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

I would suggest that you neuter your cats. Tom cats when not neutered roam for miles so more chance of coming to harm . Female cats would be constantly pregnant if not neutered so health wise would suffer .All my cats have been neutered and lived to be 17/18 years old.

• 1 decade ago

Neutered cats tend to live longer than intact cats. In part this is due to a reduced risk of cancer, as cancers of the sex organs are often related to sex hormones, which are greatly diminished by neutering. Current research indicates that the sooner the neutering is done the lower the risk of these cancers, and if a female cat is neutered before the first season the risk is believed to be less than 1%. There is also some evidence that neutered cats, especially neutered tomcats, benefit from a reduced exposure to infectious diseases (they stay closer to home).

• 1 decade ago

Hi, Neutered live longer, i have had neumerous cats over the years, some have died of injury,(8years) one died of cancer (12 years)and one of old age 17 years) I still have 2 cat's one is 11 years one is 8 years. They have all been neutered. My friend has had a similar amount of cat's as me but hers seem to go missing at a young age because of not being neutered and wandering off.

• 1 decade ago

Spaying and neutering does no harm to your cat or dog and can drastically improve your pet's health and life expectancy. The average lifespan of a neutered housecat (one kept indoors) is from 15 to 20 years. The average lifespan of an intact tomcat (they can not be kept indoors as a regular pet) is from 3 to 5 years.

Spaying is done on females and neutering on males.

Here is some good information from the Dog Hause

http://www.doghause.com/spay.asp

Spayed and neutered dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives.

Spaying female dogs and cats eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer.

Neutering male dogs and cats reduces the incidence of prostate cancer.

Neutered animals are less likely to roam and fight.

Spayed and neutered pets are better, more affectionate, companions.

Neutered cats are less likely to spray and mark territory.

Spaying a female dog or cat eliminates its heat cycle, which can last twenty-one days, twice a year, in dogs, and anywhere from three to fifteen days, three or more times a year, in cats. Females in heat often cry incessantly, show nervous behavior, and attract unwanted male animals.

Spayed and neutered pets are less likely to bite. Unaltered animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems than those that have been spayed or neutered. "

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if a cat does not get neutered their live is at risk of cat aids and any other diseases, multiple litters will reduce they live span and unnecessary strain on the mother cat, cats with stray for miles in search for another cat, and in some cases they may be less affectionate and spend more time outside and fight with alot with other male cats to stand their territory

where as on the other hand

cats that have been neutered will be less risk of diseases, no litters or strain on the mother cat more affectionate with you and spend most of the time at home and will not fight as much with other cats that are not neutered, and they also live alot longer.

• 1 decade ago

Neutered cats are generally healthier.

• Mercy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Neutered cats. This seems counterintuitive. Sex is healthy for people, so it makes sense it should be for cats. And sex is fun and fulfilling, and if you love your animal, you want it to have fun and be fulfilled. This just isn't the case.

There are lots of reasons. Whole male cats mark their territory and they mark it with urine. They back up to the spot they want to mark and raise their tail straight up, and you see the tail kind of vibrate which means they are loosing a stream of urine on a spot they marked before but it seems to be losing its pungency (like your cherrywood antique desk leg, or on that basket of freshly folded laundry you just set down for a minute while you cleared some space in your drawers). Whole male urine has hormones and markers in it that neutered male urine does not. It is pungent like fresh pine, but it doesn't smell at all like fresh pine. You can actually smell a whole male before you see him, from 4 or 5 feet away. Neutered males lack this scentsational characteristic. They also are much less aggressive, and do not need to practice death bites on your hand when you rough house with them a little, because they aren't going to be shredding or getting shredded in fights over ovulating queens.

This dovetails right into the health issues. Whole male cats get ripped up; they can come home half dead (I know of one that came home with his viscera dragging on the ground), with ears shredded or bitten off and even eyes dangling out of the socket. In order to make their contribution to the gene pool, they have to roam, and in the process of roaming, they can get ko'd by coyotes, raccoons, cars and nasty people; they can get into poisons; they can stop for a snack on a small animal that ate poison.

In addition, sex itself poses a real risk for them. There are two diseases among feral and free-roaming cats that some used to say are at epidemic proportions: feline leukemia and feline AIDS (this latter not transmissible to humans). Both are transmitted through bodily fluids: sex and blood (fighting and making love), and feline leukemia is transmitted by licking an infected friend or drinking or eating from the same vessel. Both diseases are deadly, leukemia heartbreakingly so. AIDS takes longer.

There is a vaccination against feline leukemia, and it is something like 60-75% effective, which ain't 100%. And the leukemia vaccine has been directly linked to fibrosarcomas (cancers) at the injection site. The vaccination must be given annually, and so each time the animal gets the injection, it is put at some risk. There is no vaccine against feline AIDS.

Free roaming queens are as at risk for these diseases and dangers as free roaming toms. And their babies will be infected and will die very young, as kittens.

Finally, there is the ethical issue that ASPCA and the Humane Society and all the other august animal rights and rescue organizations bring to bear: There are so many animals that need homes. I don't know the current statistics, but around 2000 here in NYC where I live, 40,000 animals were "euthanized". When your little guy or little lady makes babies, they are filling slots in homes that some of the little sleepers would have gotten, so basically, when you don't spay or neuter, you are putting other animals "to sleep".

All that being said, I will say this on a personal note. I rescued a kitten once, a little nursing male who could not have survived the night had I not taken him in. He in turn and in ways I needn't share with you, saved my life. He is gone, and I would have to say I would give almost anything to have one of his sons or daughters.

You really must spay or neuter your cat. But if you should decide to have just one litter, do it in a controlled environment. Choose the mate, keep them both inside, let them have-to until her estrus stops, get the male neutered. And as soon as the babies are weaned, get the queen spayed. Otherwise you put your best buddy at risk.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck.

Source(s): Experience and every cat care book and manual I have ever read.
  • 1 decade ago

cowcat is 17years old while hayley is going on to 15!yes ,neutered cats are far healthier.they live better lives from diseases such as cancer and stomach problems

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it doesn't affect their health directly but a neutered cat is less likely to get diseases and is calmer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Neutered, less likely to get cancer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.