Dolly
Lv 6
Dolly asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

psychology sucks ! please help?

i have to do an essay on the nature nurture debate with regards to personality. running out of ideas. checked some websites but the language is a bit to arty farty bit like reading a steven king novel (impossible without a dictionary). anyone got any theories. cheers !!

Update:

actually i dont want to be a psychologist and i dont nead to learn the lingo. this is part of a course that can lead to a university place in whatever subject i choose. the reason you have to take psychology is in case you want to go into teaching. after all we need to understand how the little buggers learn. so less of the sarcasim please. if you cant say anything nice piss off

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Mushin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The nature versus nurture debates concern the relative importance of an individual's innate qualities ("nature") versus personal experiences ("nurture") in determining or causing individual differences in physical and behavioral traits. The view that humans acquire all or almost all their behavioral traits from "nurture" is known as tabula rasa ("blank slate"). With the development of human genetics, many important human traits have been proven to be partially or mostly genetic.

Nurture - Although "nurture" has historically been referred to as the care given to children by their parents, in particular their mother, it is now widely regarded as any environmental (not genetic) factor in the contemporary nature versus nurture debate. This includes the influences on development arising from prenatal, parental, extended family and peer experiences, extending to influences such as media, marketing and socio-economic status. Indeed, a substantial source of environmental input to human nature may arise from stochastic variations in prenatal development. Additionally, although childhood experience (especially early childhood experience) is often regarded as more influential in who one becomes than post-childhood experience, a liberal interpretation of "nurture" might count all life experience as "nurture".

Nature - Genetic and various inborn biological factors affecting overall development.

Personality is a frequently cited example of a heritable trait that has been studied in twins and adoptions. Identical twins reared apart are far more similar in personality than randomly selected pairs of people. Likewise, identical twins are more similar than fraternal twins. Also, biological siblings are more similar in personality than adoptive siblings. Each observation suggests that personality is heritable to a certain extent. However, these same study designs allow for the examination of environment as well as genes. Typically, two kinds of environmental effects are distinguished: shared family effects (those shared by siblings, making them more similar) and nonshared effects (which uniquely affect individuals, making siblings different). Although they are genetically identical and share the same family environment, identical twins reared together do not have identical personalities. These differences are caused entirely (by definition) by nonshared environmental effects. Adoption studies also directly measure the strength of shared family effects. Adopted siblings share only family environment. Unexpectedly, some adoption studies indicate that by adulthood the personalities of adopted siblings are no more similar than random pairs of strangers. This would mean that shared family effects on personality are zero by adulthood. As is the case with personality, non-shared environmental effects are often found to out-weigh shared environmental effects. That is, environmental effects that are typically thought to be life-shaping (such as family life) may have less of an impact than non-shared effects, which are harder to identify. One possible source of non-shared effects is the environment of pre-natal development. Random variations in the genetic program of development may be a substantial source of non-shared environment. These results suggest that "nurture" may not be the predominant factor in "environment".

Source(s): http://genealogy.about.com/cs/geneticgenealogy/a/n... Applied Psychology student.
  • MK <><
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Please do not say Psychology sucks...lol

Well okay, its a debate really because the claims rely on the view that heredity is a strong deerminant of human nature. Ok lets think if behaviour is innate, then it is fixed. However even in physical make up where there is clearly a strong genetic element, we can see a clear environmental effect. The height, for example. Tall parents will generally have tall children, and short parents, short children likewise. Thay is in the nature of genes. BUT there might be some observations:

for example environemntal effects can disturn the trend, poor nutrition and all

the average height has increased over time, as a result of improved environmental factors, nutrition for example...

Likewise try to think about those stuff... Good luck

Source(s): Degree holder in Psychology
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I've hardly been in the philosophy section, but from what I've seen here most people are teens or, at best, college age. If you look at a lot of the questions here, it's just a lot of frivolity in this section or people whom I think just want attention really badly, always talking about how they're considering suicide and their self-esteem. And those same people, plus a few others, answer the questions, as well. They've made this section way more watered down and trivial than it should be, and I really don't want people who do feel they need help to feel bad at that comment but it's just true. But younger people, or most of them, aren't that interested in philosophy. I think Yahoo Answers really needs to create separate sections for adults and then again for younger people. Every site I've been on that has been geared towards helping people, when there are a lot of young people it just ruins it.

• 1 decade ago

Its all about genetics verses social environments. Also how one theory involves, affects or depends on the other.. Not too hard!! Hope u get a good mark. For evidence just base upon things u have read about in the news, ur friends and the people u have associated with up until now. Each area has its own background IT depends what u believe in - but ur get better marks if you leave urself open and appreciate both side of the argument. It pays to be non - judgemental and the higher mark is what counts.

(just be sure to put in lots of references to back it up) Hope that helps.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

If your purpose is to have your son or daughter becomes smooth in reading both capital and lowercase letters. Then you definitely will need this program, Children Learning Reading from here https://tr.im/UG9lQ .

Children Learning Reading shows your youngster phonemes therefore they've a very solid base in the skills which will let them to take to be a prolific reader. With Children Learning Reading may also focuses on making on the abilities discovered to allow your son or daughter to take their studying skills to the next level.

With Children Learning Reading is simple to teach your youngster how to read.

• 1 decade ago

Sorry, that's not a debatable topic in my mind. The people we inherit our genes from, and the environment in which we are raised, contribute to our personalities.

However, it's a topic where you can find out a lot of points for each side. I don't know which side you are on--but do another search for just that side.

Good luck--neither side can 'win'--but one side can be better prepared than the other.

• 1 decade ago

If you're taking a psychology course, you really should know the lingo. It's not going to do you any good in the long run if you don't learn it.

• Jewel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you think psychology sucks perhaps you should stop studying it and refrain from ever becoming a psychologist.

You will not learn it properly and responsibly enough to help others if you are not interested to learn the course content properly.

Do a lot of people a big favour and do not become a psychologist.

• 1 decade ago

My feelings are nature gives us our basic personality types (framework) and how we are nutured determines how the house will be built.

• 1 decade ago

mention twins studies and the bo bo doll experiment (bowlby was it). peers etc. also might be worth mentioning feral children.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.