How many British-English speakers are tired of the 'American' spell check on YA?

I found this out by accident yesterday, so I'll pass it on to you:

On the URL at the top of the screen, where it says answers.yahoo.com.....(etc.), type in 'uk'. before 'answers' so it looks like:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

and then your spell check will work and 'colour' won't show up as wrong on Spell Check. Also, on the left side of the page about halfway down, you can choose between All English Language questions or U.K. and Ireland only.

Not bad for a Yank, eh? NOW can we be friends?

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but the last few days I've seen people railing about some kind of evil American plot to make everyone spell words the American way. I was just trying to help.

Personally, if someone spells 'colour' or 'neighbour' or 'about' (okay, that one we agree on (lol)) I know what they're talking about. To argue over a letter seems as pointless to me as it does to you. Sometimes I spell them the American way, sometimes the British way. It keeps people guessing.

:)

I didn't even know we had a spell check on the net ?!

But i doo like the American way of spelling it best...

And i'm English..! Well done mr yank =)

British English

7

I studied English and Linguistics at university and I don't actually mind dialect variations. All that matters is that you are consistent (you choose either British or American English but don't mix the two). Dialect variations in both pronunciation and spelling is perfectly acceptable, providing (when it comes to the written word) you stick to one or other standard. What annoys me is when people have clearly not put in any effort to check that their spelling and grammar are relatively accurate, whether they're writing in British, American, Australian or any other English. Just choose one, stick to it and try to get it as close to coherent as you can. Sorry to be pedantic (as I'm far from perfect) but the standard of all varieties on English on Yahoo Answers is absolutely appalling.

Because on the UK Ireland Australia NZ site we dont spell our words Wrong

I am for ever replacing the Z for an S and imputing the missing U as in ColoUr

It does the same on all Microsoft packages, including Word. Just ignore it if you want English spellings.

Nothing wrong with having a dictionary in the house!

Source(s): You say potato, I say etc etc.....

Thanks...

I'm English but it doesn't bother me. I actually prefer the American way of spelling in 90% of cases.

No help at all - it's still a crap spelling checker. They (YA) still can't spell words like "realize" which they seem to think is an American variant when, in fact, "realise" is illiterate in the UK!

My url comes up with uk.answers..etc anyway and I still end up here. No matter, I can live with it, thankfully I CAN spell colour and neighbour and other words that we differ in, I'll live...friend!

Eh?

I don't really bother with spell check.... I rarely type in words like colour and realise and aluminium... oops....

And yes, we can be friends