do you think that we should put our flags at half mast for fallen soldiers ?

they lower them for presidents dead, popes,leaders,and school shootings of a large scale. dont you think that we should lower them for a single soldier? they are fighting and dying. isnt one soldiers life equal to that of many students. already over 200,000 troops have died fighting in battle. and in all battles in history. and we dont even lower the flags for them.

I am a BIG supporter of our military, as I was a soldier too. Memorial Day is the day we use to celebrate our fallen.

As for the lives of our soldiers, COMING from a soldier... the Charge of the Light Brigade, by Lord Tennison said it best... Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do and die.

Soldiers are brave men and women who everyday understand the risk they are taking, and even better understand that if they die, no one will remember them but for dear friends and family.

I applaud your notion of lowering the flag for each death, but as one poster said earlier, there just aren't enough flags.

In agreement with another poster, the flag should remain at half mast until the end of the war, or until 31 days after the pullout of hte last troop in Iraq.

My own thoughts resonate on one more point... the flag is flown upside down in a time of dire emergency. Our Senate, and our House of Representatives have voted to pull our troops from Iraq, and ONE MAN has the power to say that more should die. The people have spoken, quite clearly, and we are still being steered into the path of danger.... our country has been hijacked. It might be time to fly our flags at halfmast... upside down.

We lower the flag at half-staff for extraordinary reasons and individuals. It has been overdone including the VaTech killings. Lowered at half-staff for soldiers killed in war? No it is not done by tradition. I'd rather the government limit the reasons the flag is lowered at half-staff rather than add to it.

Soldiers dying in war is "part of the job."

Source(s): us army vet.
  • facer

0.5 the human beings in this united states of america incredibly do not pay tribute to the flag as they might desire to. how many sit down on the realm of cut back and don't subject to stand in the process a parade because of fact the colour guards bypass purchase. Or how approximately maximum suitable after 911 you might even see American flags in front of virtually each abode, yet right now they seem to be far and few between. how many fly flags interior the evening that are actually not illuminated via mild or that are in dire want of alternative. i in my opinion experience that flying the flag at 0.5 mast for the least this united states of america can do for the reason that they're over there in honor and as ambassadors to our united states of america.

I don't think the flags should ever be lowered. They should be raised high in praise of all the fallen soldiers. Not lowered. Plus, it just takes to long to lower all those flags with all those ropes and stuff attached.

If a soldier dies in a certain area, the flags are at half mass. Their unit's flags are at half mass.

We do not need to put them at half mass across the country for every soldier killed.

Where did you get the 200,000 troops have died? 3.3k have died. 196,700 less than your number.

traplzzl: Hit the nail on the head, dead center. He couldn't have said it any better. Bravo!

No, I do not think we should lower the flags for fallen soldiers, dead college students, people who died crossing the street, or people who died of natural causes.

I DO think we should lower the flags for dead heads of states.

May sound callous but i'm a veteran, i'm allowed to be callous. ;)

• John L

While the death of every soldier is a horrible tragedy, and a great loss, individually each death is not a national tragedy.

As a group these fallen heros are remembered on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

Usually the flags are lowered in the deceased soldiers hometown. I'm thinking your number of 200,000 dead is a little high - perhaps you should confirm it?

• CGIV76

Memorial Day

Probably. But it would seem that we should keep them at half mast for the half-a**ed politicians that run this country and only raise them to full mast when we elect some one to the post of President who does what he/she actually says they are going to do to make this country a better place.