K asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

what happens on a flight stop over?

Hello everyone.

I must be the only person not to know this...but having never travelled I don't really know what happens when you stop at another destination en route. For example I am flying from UK to Bombay and stopping in Dubai inbetween. Does this mean I need to check out at Dubai...and check in again? there isnt much time between the two flights & it's all with the same air company. Do I get off the plane at all?

As you can see i'm very confused....and worried about being stuck on my own at a foreign airport. All help is very welcome. xx

I'm assuming you are flying with Emirates. In this cause you'll be transitting in Dubai, so you will have to change aircrafts.

Here's the info from their website:

Disembark via the windowed airbridge, up the connecting escalator to Level 3 of the terminal. Pickup point is also located outside the Arrivals Hall.

Follow the signs to any one of the four Transit / Connecting Flights desks, passing through Security Control.

Once you have your onward boarding card, you can take the escalator down to Departures on Level 2.

If you're ticket has been booked as a through-fare (i.e. a ticket to Bombay with a transit in Dubai, not UK-Dubai ticket and Dubai to Bombay ticket), then you won't need to reclaim your luggage, but I would make sure to ask the check-in staff at your UK departure airport if they have booked your backs straight through

Source(s): Travel Agent

As you both flights are with the same airline and there is little time between them, it is highly likely that you will not be let off the plane. The stopover is nothing more than a chance to re-fuel on long flights.

If you are let off the plane, you will not be allowed out of the arrivals department. You will not have to do anything special with your luggage; once it is checked in at London, it will follow you even if you are permitted to leave the aircraft during the stopover. Either way, you will not be checking in and out; once you are checked in at London that is it.

Really don't panic, stopovers on long flights are extremely common and your in-flight staff will be able to tell you exactly what is happening and when.

So relax, and enjoy your holiday!!

xx

Source(s): Ex-travel agent

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what happens on a flight stop over?

Hello everyone.

I must be the only person not to know this...but having never travelled I don't really know what happens when you stop at another destination en route. For example I am flying from UK to Bombay and stopping in Dubai inbetween. Does this mean I need to check out at Dubai...and...

Source(s): flight stop over: https://shortly.im/TPsWf

if your changing flight, check your ticket flight number and boarding times, because if it's long i think they put you up in a hotel, but if it's a few hours you have to wait in the airport, you don't have to take your luggage off the plain only hand luggage because you will be getting onto a different plain, your cargo luggage will be transferred automatically.

then when your flight time comes you just board at the gate that it says on the screen.

(i once had to wait 16 hours for a plain and didn't get put up into a hotel or anything!) and take some warm cloths because Dubai and other hot countries have air conditioning and it's freezing in the airports even though it's real hot out side.

I'm sure you'll get some good replies to this question; like 'get off the plane', 'board the bus/walk down the ramp', 'enter the stop-over lounge'... etc. But i'd like to make the suggestion that if you're stopover is a few hours, find out if the airport you're at is linked to on-site hotels. Go have a spa, massage, sauna, the works... because usually the second/third flight is the worst!

• Helen

If you'll be taken the same exact plane they will make you get off for a break and keep your belongings on board. However, most of the time you need to switch planes. Your luggage will transfer with you if you are using the same airline. There is no need to go through security again unless it was an overnight stop. Just head to your new gate.

Stopover Flight Plan

There are two types of stop overs I've encountered in the past. The first one is where you stay onboard the plane and the second is they will let you get off the airplane and you will stay in the terminal at the airport where you can buy stuff. You don't have to check in again but I think you may just need to show your passport and piece of boarding ticket to get back on the plane.

You usually get of one flight on to another. if they are two separate flights. Don't worry u just match the fight numbers on ur ticket to the flight numbers on the board. People are very helpful at airports and usually always speak English

This is usually due to refuelling. Sometimes you get off the plane and they take you to an area of the airport that is away from other travellers (no need to check in/ out at Dubai). Dependant on the time on the ground you may stay on the plane (not sure about your stop?)