Angela V asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Deaf And Blind Cat Any Advice From Cat Owners?

I recently inherited a cat (the owner commited suicide by propaine - turned on stove in his house). The cat was in the house and has propaine poisoning and is now deaf and blind because of it. The cat doesnt really know me or my house and he is very distant right now (understandably).Any suggestions?

I would rather not put the cat down (and I liked my neighbour, but obviously he wasnt thinking clearly), and I'm thinking that the cats other senses will grow with time.

I have a deaf cat and one who is going blind. When I feed the deaf cat or want to get it attention, I knock on the floor she will feel the vibrations and come to me. The one who is losing his sight will sometime bump into thing. You know that cats are nocturnal and move about very well in the dark by use of the whiskers. You need to work with this cat, he didn't ask to become deaf or blind and you are a beautiful soul to take in the cat. I hope the web site listed below will be of some help.

• PJJ

Wow! I don't even answer normally on the cat board, but Come On??? What's wrong with giving this cat a chance at least? I mean, the option to put her down will always be there...why not at least give it a go? Obviously the person asking the question comprehends the fact that this is a very special needs animal, and is here asking for help. I've been caring for injured and orphaned wildlife for a decade now and I have been repeatedly amazed with animals ability to adapt to new situations. And to overcome physical disabilities... I think that cat deserves at least a chance. Asker: I think you are someone to be commended for giving this cat a home, and I wish both you and the cat the best of luck!!

I have worked with heaps and heaps of vets...and I don't think I have ever come across a single one with the same attitude of Dr Swirl there. Sure am glad I have a vet that's got a bit more compassion. Most that I have worked with would be willing to give that cat a home themselves.

Source(s): see profile

I have no experience with a deaf and blind cat, but I think it's a little much to put them to sleep as others have suggested. I think the answerer's were putting themselves in that position, personally, when they gave those answers. As humans, we rely so much on sight and sound and it would be unthinkable for us to be without both. However, it is possible - look at Helen Keller.

Cats, however, use their sense of smell just as much, if not more, than sight and sound. If you keep new kitty isolated in a smaller-ish room, he will become accustomed to the smell of your house. Right now, all of the smells are new to him, so he is justifiably frightened. He would be even if he had his sight and hearing, but because he can only rely on smell, probably more so. Make sure he has access to a litter box and food and water. I would suggest wet food, softened more with a bit of warm water. Wet food has a more appealing smell than dry, and the warm water will make it smell even better.

He can survive being blind and deaf. He just needs a bit more time than a normal cat.

Wow. What painted rain said. To add: You will have to start rituals. Everyday, the same times..food and touch/play--keep him moving. Put him in the sun. But, this is going to be tough. You will want to travel without the cat...traveling can even be traumatic for him, too--if that were the option. If another person were to take care of him, during siutations like this, the cat would have to get use to that caretaker to. This is a big responsibility. The cat will adapt. Poor thing!!

Edit Add: The other senses will become more sensitive over time. Their sense of motion (especially if he still has wiskers) are amazing. And, even we adapt when we loose a sense or two. You can put your face on the kitty's body and talk to him(let him feel the vibrations)...he will know.

I also don't agree on putting the cat to sleep unless it's in a LOT of pain. If the cat is ok other then being blind and deaf, just make sure you keep food and water out and try to pet him/her a little when you see it. It may take a little time but the cat has hearing and smell to be able to get around and should get used to you within a few weeks. Good Luck.

I agree with some of the others. As hard as it is I would put the poor cat to sleep (and soon!). Let him be with his owner. That is no way for the poor thing to live...and it's not really living especially if he wasn't born that way. Just imagine sudddenly not being able to see, to hear, not having his owner for consolation, and being in a new place with new people where he doesn't know where he is or nothing is familiar ....POOR BABY! Don't let him suffer in a dark, silent,scary, unfamiliar world! I am against euthanasia but in some cases it is mercyful and I feel this is one.

Yes, he can survive but at what emotional trauma until the time came that he could get around and adapt. I think it's cruel to put him through it.

And how do you know he hasn't suffered brain damage from the propane poisoning??

I also have a blind cat, but he was blind from birth and it's hard for him even though he's never had sight.

Don't put the cat to sleep if it is healthy in all other ways. I work in 2 different animal rescue groups and i have seen it all from cats and dogs who are burn victims , blind deaf.....You just have to work with the cat and maybe keep him in one room for a while until its familiar with it then move to the rest of the house. Once the cat knows your love he will trust you more. It is just unfamiliar

Source(s): i work in animal rescue groups

Poor cat, suffering because of his owner's negligence. It's one thing to take your own life, but to not care about the animals that share that house you intoxicate....horrible!

I do NOT agree with the rest, about euthanizing him just because he's fallen on hard times. It's not his fault, and he's healthy otherwise! Bad situations happen, and I do not believe the answer is EVER euthanization without giving the animal a chance to adjusting to a new (and right now scary!) live.

Keep the cat enclosed in one bedroom for starters. Let him get used to the surroundings in there, before letting him venture & explore more of the house. A little at a time, don't want to overwhelm the poor guy!

Don't put the cat down because he can't see or hear, he can still smell. As long as he eats he will adjust to you and your home. To start, keep him in a small room with his food, water, and his litter box. Give him love and he will return it to you. Since he survived this poisoning, he needs another chance.

Source(s): I have had cats all my life and have 5 now that I saved.

K well first of all I want to say I'msorry to hear about your friend and the poor kitty

*trying to lighten mood*

secondly have you tried a seeing eye dog?

ok SERIOUSLY NOW....I'm sure the poor thing is in shock I would try occasional treats....carnip toy can it still smell? soemthign to kinda let it know it's safe and at home.....keep offering your hand to let it know you can be trusted but try not to be the one to advance just yet.....eventually he/she will get use to you......

It's not fair to kill it because its been mistreated. If it was a human or their own pets they wouldnt be so quick to send it off to the afterlife...