What should i do with abandoned duck eggs? If I take them in how should i take care of them?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

1) Wait (hide yourself) see if the Mom comes back.

2) If she doesn't, find somebody with an incubator. Remind them that duck eggs need more humidity than chicken eggs!!

3) No incubator available?? Make your own.

Use an egg carton, a heat lamp, and a thermometer. The eggs will need to be sprayed with water (tap water is ok) occasionally (maybe every few hours), and every day, flip the eggs. As in, on day 1, they are on the little side. On day 2, turn them so that they are on the big side.

Also, don't forget that the temperature must CONTINUOUSLY be 101-102ºF. So do not place the incubator by an open door. Use the thermometer to monitor this.

Duck eggs usually hatch in 28 days, but some duck breeds can take up to 35 days to hatch!!

If the eggs smell, throw them out!!

Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

If they are truly abandoned, then it was probably for a reason - best thing is to let Nature take its course, whatever that may be.

Female ducks do spend about a week laying eggs before they begin incubating them, so perhaps the mother hasn't accumulated a big enough clutch yet.

• Zack
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Unless somebody shot the duck the eggs are most likely dead because of the length of time they weren't warmed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

put them in an incubater

that gives constant heat and rotates the eggs

to do it by hand and with a light bulb almost never works

otherwise bake a cake

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You will need a incubator or broody hen to hatch them.There is no other way no matter what you have seen in the movies (fly away home ect)

Source(s): I know poultry
  • 1 decade ago

Poor eggs... I hope the mother comes back... if she does not then have a read of this website http://www.duckeggs.com/ there is some info on there.

• 1 decade ago

Put 'em in a box near a light-bulb or make a nest and sit on them.

• 1 decade ago

If you know anyone who has a egg incubator...then you might be able to borrow it.....You should leave them for about 3 hrs. to make sure their abandoned.....if you already have done this then just ignore that....LOL.........But dont leave them alone to long or they will die...........

Source(s): myself???
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just leave them. dont take them in cos you could get into trouble with police cos they might think you been taking them from nests and thats illegal. whatever is inside will be prob be dead now anyway. its sad i know, but your other answer is right. its nature, let it run its course.

• 1 decade ago

however sad it may seem, you might let nature take its course as intended, they were abandoned for a reason :(

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.