Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Has depression just ever consumed you?

Have you ever felt your brain turn completely off? Do you see the world black and white and muffled? Why cant I get out of this funk? What in the world is wrong with me? You ever just want to die? I have been terrified to take meds. I need help though. Please let me know what meds helped you and why. I want to have ore background on the meds before I see a dr.

I am posting htis in P&S becasue I never get an answer when I post in health sections.

I know each med is like a key that turns off the depressed state in your brain. The trouble is finding the right key that fits. I can't even tell you the last time I really smiled or felt wanted. I feel my family dosent want me around and now my husband just flat out dosent want me.

Well I am not what you would call bi-polar or clinically depressed, but once at work I suffered from stress due to a horrible supervisor who just kept messing with me, slandering my character, etc. I was prescribed Lexipro and it took the edge off long enough for me to work out a way to cope. They also tried to get me to take Welbutrin, but it not only knocked me out but eliminated my sex drive so I stopped that sh*t real quick!

All I can say is that depression can be hard to shake unless you have people that you call friends who can talk to you about this. I had a traumatic experience due to an ex-wife recently and I really wanted to kill myself, but a couple of really good friends talked some sense into me, and it is paying off as I now enjoy life more, am making new friends, have new projects I am working on and am really starting to come into my own once again.

So besides for meds, just talk to sympathetic people who care - you know there are some of them out there, don't you?

Wow, I was in this same situation for about a year, and I never took any medications, though I know people who do. I must say, though, what helped me through was my friends. I was very secluded and pushed them away, but they were always there for me, and one day I realized, huh...I have true friends. When I finally stopped trying to push everyone out of my life, I got my life back...now I am perfectly fine! and those people I know who take depression drugs, are still on them and still struggling.

Friends are the best meds! They really CAN fix anything.

• Lori

Over the last five years I had begun to have increasingly withdraw into a downward spiral of depression..

But now with the method I can fully focus my energy and thoughts into a decisive line on how to make my life better constantly. And it works like magic! I'm beginning to attract people to me once again and things have just been looking up since then.

Helping you eliminate depression?

Yes, It has. I know what you are going through. Effexor was helpfull for me. However, I didn't really like being on the meds, it kinda shuts you off emotionally. I have been off meds for over a year now and I am doing well. I still go through some rough patches now and again, but nothing I can't handle. Hang in there, you can get through this.

I'm experiencing that right now. I actually have a consultation next week with a psychiatrist to see if I need meds. But from what my psychologist told me, people respond differently to different meds so if the first anti-depression med you take have no effect on you, you may need to get a different one.

Been there many times. If you want to check out info on meds before you talk to the doc, do a search on line. Each medication reacts with each person differently. I have been on at least 4 different ones. Have you thought about therapy as well?

• Mary O

Yes it has and yes i wanted to die at times i cried alot and i was never able to be happy because i was so depressed and i went to a Dr a Psychiatrist and she wouldn't give me any antidepressants because she was afraid i would kill myself, i turned to drinking alcohol and that became my best friend,things got worse and i moved to another state i continued to drink met my ex husband and things just got worse over time i checked into a hospital for my depression and started to take medication and found that my depression lead to my dependency on alcohol but was able to get help for my depression i was prescribed elavil and stopped drinking, i am remarried happy and wasn't on antidepressants any longer then i had to be which was less then a year they now prescribe different drugs for depression so in order to get help you need to find a good psychiatrist to talk to the medication won't hurt you it will help you so good luck to you and you will be a great person you will see, you probably already are you just don't realize it now

• oh, you got it exactly right, that's exactly the way I used to be. depression was actually making me physically I'll. no one could help me, it was like there were barriers around my mind and nothing could get in or out. my doctor prescibed me pills and they worked, for a week or two, then they didn't do anything. I'm fine now, I had to recluse for a while so my barriers could be permanently let down. one day I just woke up and it was like my eyes had been opened for the first time. I could actually think and see the world clearly, and for the first time in my life I was proud of who I was. it wasn't long after that I actually felt joy, that's right, before that I'd never felt joy, never. I seemed to have come to a spiritual balance.

well, that's my story, thanks for listening.

yes recently, in november 30,2006-i was in a car accident {not my fault}(head-on collision) and i had a compound fracture in my lower right leg. and so i have a metal rod and 3 screws in my leg, that holds my leg together. was in a wheel chair for 2 months and the world seemed to leave me behind. i started doing therapy, and life is getting better.but during the past 4 months i had questions of life and its purpose-being stuck at home gives you too much time to think(one starts questioning a lot of things).

I've been there & trust me, it made me lost a huge amount of hair daily. My skin worsens, everything about my body is affected. I get worse sleep. I wake up in the middle of the night more often. I hope it gets better for the both of us. No one wants that. I'd rather be in physical pain than mental pain.