Would a potential employer not offer you a job after checking all references and past employers?

I interviewed at this place and it went well. In fact, I interned there a few years ago. Within a week, they began checking my references and past employers. But I am still waiting to hear about an offer. Could HR really be this slow?

Favorite Answer

Yes larger HR departments can be slower. There is also the possibility they are waiting for a response from one of your previous employers. I have that problem a good majority of the time of businesses not calling me back for an employment verification. There is also the possibility they are running your background check which can take even longer.

I have known some companies that have taken longer in getting back to applicants.

Best Wishes

Source(s): HR Rep and Corporate Recruiter

Yes they could be slow waiting for answers from references. And yes they offer or not offer you a job based on the references. Thats why they ask for them to see what other people say about you. They can only ask did you work there length of employment, a yes or no to salary and would they rehire. My knowledge comes from 35 years in the HR field

If they are checking past references, they may have found something that concerns them. But if you have interned for them before with no problems, they will weigh that too.

Just give them some time, especially if it is a high demand position that many others have applied for as well.

• Huge

From my experience it can take over a fortnight to get a response from referees then these have to checked and sorted and recommendations made. It can some time if you have lots of applicants

if they are checking your references then they are definately interested in hiring you. i'd say you'll hear from them soon these things do take time because HR have to get authorisation to hire staff, budget wages etc

good luck

yes i have turned several employees away from references also have been hired for my own

maybe they found something that made them not want to hire you or maybe it is slow