Siggy
Siggy asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Why isn't Quebec City being considered an NHL city?

I miss the Nordiques. I'd love to see some team start there, or better yet, MOVE there.

I would imagine with the new economics of the NHL cap would make Quebec a prime spot. After all, the Nords move was financial, not due to lack of support.

What am I missing?

Favorite Answer

Blame it on Gary Bettman and the powers that be in the NHL. You see this tale goes something like this Canadian teams are not factored into the Nielson ratings , so somebody says lets put more teams in the American market that will boost the ratings we will get more revenue.

Where do they think this growth will come from the Sun Belt. Why it's the fastest growing region and allot of snowbird and transplants moved there.

What the boys in the NHL headquarters didn't realize was that not only did this ruin the product (over expansion- hurt the core hockey area) it also did not recruit new fans in any meaningful numbers to boost the sports overall TV ratings.

In Nashville only time they sell out is when the Red Wings come to town and the vast majority are transplants rooting for the Red Wings. Florida needs Ranger fans and snowbirds from Canada.

To answer your question good old fashion greed. Sorry small market hockey loving cities you just don't matter to all those number crunchers.

• I have to agree with all of you. Bettmen destroyed the NHL and continues to do so. How can a small market team like Buffalo sell out every game and teams like Tampa Bay cant even sell out their arena during the Stanley Cup Finals. Which by the way they won. I will tell you why, Small market teams mainly up north ( ie Canada, MN, Buffalo, Boston, etc) have loyal fans who enjoy watching and playing the game. Who the Hell in Las Vegas plays hockey. Hello, it's a dessert. Just look at Phoenix. They came from Winnipeg and still cant make it. At least in Winnipeg, they would sell out the arena.

Bettmen is an idiot that needs to disappear

I blame Bettman. He's screwed up the NHL by moving teams to nontraditional hockey markets.

Bob: Get things right before you go off about Winnipeg needing a new team. Just because the arena is new does not make it up to NHL standards. The capacity of the MTS Centre is only 15,000 and is, in no way, possible to support an NHL team.

Quebec city is no longer considered an NHL because Quebec Business community is so cheap. They always think they are the smartest when they think they can screw American business man of a few millions. In comparison Americans tend to be big spenders and take risks and are often successful.

Quebec is mostly french and french people are reputated to be scrooge and penny pincher's. They use their brain a lot to save money and dislike taking risky moves, but life is a risky game. When French government was trying to colonize north America they had a very hard time convincing people to embark on that endeavor.

French didn't want to live their country even if they were poor. For them civilization was France. When they got bright ideas they rather sell it to foreigners. They never spend in science like England or America do, consequently many of their best brains moved to America.

Only when they see American do something successful they rapidly imitated but until then, they laugh at them. That was the case of the Internet.

I agree although they would probably need a new rink as the old Quebec rink (Colisee) is over 50 years old (I don't think they have a newer arena) and only holds 15,000 which is low by todays standards and we saw in Pittsburgh what a pain a new arena deal can be. Taxpayers seem reluctant to foot the bill for millionaire owners.

Winnipeg makes more sense because they already have a new arena.

• jerry

Blame it on Gary Bettman