Why is Brisbane known as brisvegas?

Is this my the dyslexia society?

It comes from the days when Brisbane really was like a big country town before the developers moved in and before all the "mexicans" moved in from south of the border.

The name was given to us by journalists in Sydney and Melbourne in an attempt to make a comedic reference to the Brisbane city administration's attempt to attract business and tourists to the city by presenting it as an exciting destination.

Traditionally Brisbane was perceived as dull, in the context of Australian tourism, because it did not have a lot of tourist attractions - i.e. beaches, cultural sights etc. These journalists also perceived that Brisbane had a lot of small town tackiness and was backward.

The hot and dry weather of Brisbane also contributes to this name as it is similar to the weather of Las Vegas.

Things have changed a lot since then and Brisbane is developing into a sophisticated metropolitan city. Mostly it is the locals that still use the term Brisvegas as a show of parochialism.

Oh I should also add that it only has one casino so the name as nothing to do with that.

Source(s): live in Brisbane
  • ANISE

For a long time Brisbane was known as a large country town. The pace here was a lot slower than other capital cities such as Sydney & Melbourne.

I think BrisVegas is said tongue in cheek, and probably part of someone's marketing campaign.

The city centre has one casino at the Treasury Hotel.

Affectionately called "Marvellous Melbourne" through the silver speed of the 1850s, the title continues to be applied nowadays for Australia's next largest town Melbourne, an area that you can visited with hotelbye . On the banks of the Yarra River, near the entrance to Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne is a contemporary area steeped in history. With great wealth made from the regional goldfields, grand buildings were constructed through the entire city. Many of these houses however stand nowadays, and Melbourne is considered as having more examples of Victorian architecture than every other town in Australia. One place you cannot skip in your trip to Melbourne is the Southbank and Arts Centre Melbourne. On the banks of the Yarra River that area is really a culturally rich appeal for visitors. Southbank promenade is full of indoor/outdoor cafés, restaurants, and live entertainment. Quickly recognizable by its spire, the Arts Centre features a range of theaters and rooms like the State Theatre, Playhouse, Fairfax Theatre, and Hamer Hall, the premier performance space for the respected Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

Apparently Brisbane is a good place to be? I don't think so. There is no night life between Mon-Thursday nights in town. Also it's a very,very small city.it takes about 10 mins to walk from one end to the other.

I live in the Gold Coast which has a lot more to offer. Including a casino that is bigger than the matchboxed-sized one they have in Brisbane.

Sorry, I have no idea why it's called brisvegas.

I would say it is because of the lights, clubs galore and a busy night life.... I can't think of any other reason why I have been to Reno and that is 4 hours from Vegas and it was a mini version but boring, just door to door casino's ....

• cherub

I cannot answer your question. I have been there twice and all my first cousins, aunt, uncle live there and I have never heard them give it that term. To my knowledge there is only one casino there. My uncle worked in it. I lived there myself for a few months and I never heard it called that.

It's a nick name designed to entice the tourists....

It's a nick name that is a bit deceiving...

it actully came from westfeild chermside wich is the bigest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere i think and when it was being launched they named it brisvegas and from there we just adopted it and it is also because brisse rocks......lol

Source(s): i live in brisbane....lol

I'd hazard a guess that it's got a high number of casinos.