Does anyone else take issue with this?

One of our users likes to use a phrase that I think requires some explanation, it go's like this: "Cows give us the gift of milk, butter and cheese, and chickens give us the gift of eggs." I have a real issue with the word 'gift' here. This is no gift; you steal these things from the... show more One of our users likes to use a phrase that I think requires some explanation, it go's like this: "Cows give us the gift of milk, butter and cheese, and chickens give us the gift of eggs."

I have a real issue with the word 'gift' here. This is no gift; you steal these things from the animals. I've never head of a cow walking up to a human with a glass of milk and saying in her best English "Here you go, enjoy my milk!" Or a chicken doing anything like that with her eggs. That cow that is giving this 'gift' is sacrificing milk meant for it's calf. She is kept continually pregnant to make sure her milk production does not cease. I'm sorry but I don't see how a non-consenting, enslaved, captive being can give anyone a gift. What do you think?
Update: First of all I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you that I have come to consider my colleges in educating the greater public on the issues at hand. You all know who you are. Even though some of us might disagree on some issues, things like this we will always stand firm on. We need to make the greater... show more First of all I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you that I have come to consider my colleges in educating the greater public on the issues at hand. You all know who you are. Even though some of us might disagree on some issues, things like this we will always stand firm on. We need to make the greater community's position on things like this known. So much confusion by the general public about what people like us stand for is the result of absurd augments like the one we are discussing here. Again thank you for standing up and giving your opinion.

Dear SmartAleck, No, of course the cows are not "kept pregnant" as in literally all the time. but as soon as they begin to stop lactating they are impregnated again. Your just wrong as a factual matter to say that a cow will lactate for a lifetime if their is demand. If this was the case there would be no need for a veal industry.
Update 2: Dear Some Dude, the cows we are talking about are a domesticated, man made species. Your right to say that they would not exist if we did not use them. Cows should not exist in their captive form. They should be wild animals outside of the sphere of human influence as much as is possible. Dear Buck S, I suggest... show more Dear Some Dude, the cows we are talking about are a domesticated, man made species. Your right to say that they would not exist if we did not use them. Cows should not exist in their captive form. They should be wild animals outside of the sphere of human influence as much as is possible.

Dear Buck S, I suggest you read yours. Animals were made before humans in the book of Genesis. There was no mention of eating animals until much later. This logically implies that animals were not put here for us, indeed if it implies anything it's that we are here to take care of them. Since I'm not a Christian you may want to find a Christian Vegan to discuss this with you as I really have no interest in the religious arguments for or against animal rights.
Update 3: Dear reverseparanoia. The nature augment really doesn't fly here seeing as farming of animals in any respect is not natural. Besides this is not a symbiotic relationship we are talking about here. The cows get nothing out of the deal no matter how much we may want to skew the facts to make it seem so. Dear... show more Dear reverseparanoia. The nature augment really doesn't fly here seeing as farming of animals in any respect is not natural. Besides this is not a symbiotic relationship we are talking about here. The cows get nothing out of the deal no matter how much we may want to skew the facts to make it seem so.

Dear Rani, See above.
Update 4: Dear Beebs, This is not a matter of winding people up. You spread misinformation and your being called out on it. Again in your answer to this question you use language that misrepresents the true situation. This cow does not willingly give you anything. You take it. Are you really going to maintain anything... show more Dear Beebs, This is not a matter of winding people up. You spread misinformation and your being called out on it. Again in your answer to this question you use language that misrepresents the true situation. This cow does not willingly give you anything. You take it. Are you really going to maintain anything different? Do you really expect us to believe that she walks up to you and moo's until you milk her? How can you claim she is not captive, does her living area have no bounds? Can she leave her farm? As far as your eggs go, talk to anyone who works at a sanctuary (or anyone who has kept any species of bird for that matter), even if the egg is unfertilized the hen will still act as if it is for at least a few days. By the time the hen knows it isn't it would be rotten and of no use to you.
Update 5: Besides the above, the economics of keeping animals in the conditions you describe above are much less the favorable for the farmer. In fact, I've never heard of such an arrangement (not saying it couldn't happen, I just sincerely doubt it). You happen to know for a fact that these dairy cows are never... show more Besides the above, the economics of keeping animals in the conditions you describe above are much less the favorable for the farmer. In fact, I've never heard of such an arrangement (not saying it couldn't happen, I just sincerely doubt it). You happen to know for a fact that these dairy cows are never slaughtered, and that their calf's are not sold into veal? The Chickens are not slaughtered when they stop laying, and the male chicks are not killed when born? These are standard farming practices, the realities of keeping such animals.
n addition, and I feel very strongly about this, please stop saying you live a Vegan lifestyle. The fact that you consume eggs, dairy and maybe even fish excludes you from claiming to live a Vegan lifestyle. The majority of us here are interested in promoting an easy place for new comers to gather useful information. By mislabeling yourself you further confuse those that are trying to learn.
Update 6: Dear Meenou, If you applied the same thing to humans would you still find it unproblematic? If I was to say that taking the life of another human for food is ok sometimes as it keeps the balance do you have a problem with that? If so, your idea is either flawed, or admittedly speciesist.