connecting two buildings using wireless?

hello,trying to connect two building 2gether, first building has a network of 12desktop physicaly connected and has server for file and print share,next building is about 50meters away no pcs yet but thinking of having six/eight there to share facilities in the first building.What is the best way to connect these two buildings together using wireless devices??

• Mr Ale
    Favorite Answer

You need to buy a device called a wireless bridge. You can also use a directional antenna so all your signal is pointing directly at each other for best connectivity (if just between two buildings).

Hi, I recommend NOT to use a wireless bridge to connect the 2 sites. If it is possible, I would recommend a fibre cable link between buildings for increased reliability, capacity, speed & secuirty. WEP keys sent by users can be scanned & obtained by 'scammers' using software with major security issues. The cost implications are slightly higher for hardware & installation but you get investment return through quality of service.

If you really want to go wireless, use a high speed wireless connection (802.11g, better!), and one which has a high range.

However, I strongly disagree with going wireless, as it is slow, sometimes unreliable, and if you have no WEP key, the network and its computers are vulnerable to 'passers by'.

I recommend going cable, but use a network hub server, so cable from A (with) to B (soon with), then use a network hub server at the other end.

set the second building up the on a normal server....

but you should be able to use a wireless system to hook the 2 systems up.

set the wireless up to both servers and just hook them together, i have never tried it but i have seen it done and it works :)

p.s. try talking to a computer store when your in there next to get the computers and the servers you might be even able to get a wireless server...

You need to use fibre or a laser connection between the buildings. A friend of mine has installed a few laser systems in the uk. Mail me if you want more details.

There are several suppliers that make products to do exactly what you are wanting.

Try

http://tranzeo.com

or http://defactowireless.com

If you want high cost use motorola canopy backhauls.. work great cost alot.

I would suggest the 5 gig items (less interferance higher throughput)

Or feel free to contact me - we do these for several companies some with buildings miles apart!

That's a little far for a cheap router but there are units that will do it. There are even high power routers that will let you connect over a mile away.

Try a wireless network. or a Cable will do...

cable is better...