Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

URGENT!Need to know agar-agar measurement?

Hi.

I have some desserts recipies that take gelatin leafs.

Because i am vegeterian i will be using agar-agar.I have it in flakes and powder but don't know the conversion of leafs into flakes/powder.

Could you please advise me on this.

Say if it takes 4gelatin leafs, what's the quantity in agar-agar?

Ando how should i measure (leafs to agar-agar) in future recipies? Please also advise if it is flakes or powder.

Thank you.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Flaked and powdered agar agar need to be used in different proportions, unfortunately many recipes do not specify which is being called for, but here are a few guidelines:

Powdered agar agar can be substituted for the same quantity of powdered gelatine in a recipe.

For every teaspoon of agar agar powder, you should substitute a tablespoon of agar agar flakes.

For a firm jelly you require approximately 2 teaspoons of powder or 2 tablespoons of flakes per 1 pint / 600ml of liquid.

Agar agar should be soaked in the liquid first for 10-15 minutes, then gently brought to the boil and simmered while stirring until it dissolves completely, this will take about 5 minutes for powder and 10-15 minutes for flakes. Unlike gelatine, agar agar can be boiled and can even be re-melted if necessary. If you are unsure as to the setting ability of your gel, test a small amount on a cold saucer - it should set in 20-30 seconds, if not you may need more agar agar, if too firm - add some more liquid.

To jell about 2 c. of liquid:

1 T. animal gelatin = 2 T. agar flakes =1 tsp. agar powder

(Since specifying the suitable amount of agar-agar needed in a certain recipe depends on the type of agar-agar product used and its gelling properties, it is best to follow the measuring and cooking instructions on the agar-agar package)

• 4 years ago

Usually I use 1 Tbsp for 1 cup of liquid, sprinkling the flakes onto the liquid without stirring and letting it simmer at medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then stir until all the flakes are dissolved. I prefer flakes to leaves, believing that they can be used quicker and without any fuzz. Always works well.

• 1 decade ago

3 teaspoons of flakes is equal 2 teaspoons of powder,this was a hard find through search the web

Source(s): david
  • 3 years ago

Agar Flakes To Powder Conversion

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.