Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

URGENT!Need to know agar-agar measurement?

Hi.

I have some desserts recipies that take gelatin leafs.

Because i am vegeterian i will be using agar-agar.I have it in flakes and powder but don't know the conversion of leafs into flakes/powder.

Could you please advise me on this.

Say if it takes 4gelatin leafs, what's the quantity in agar-agar?

Ando how should i measure (leafs to agar-agar) in future recipies? Please also advise if it is flakes or powder.

Thank you.

• beebs

agar is super forgiving. If you don't get it right, just reheat and adjust the ingredients-more agar if not jelled enough, more liquid if too geled. I think a leaf would be about 4 tablespoons full. I would start with 3 tablespoons of agar-it gels very quickly. I use the powder. Don't expect agar to have the same melt in your mouth quality as gelatin-it wont no matter what you do. Its more like a jam, that has to be chewed. I wish that something like this was all I had to consider URGENT, lol

Agar is typically sold as packaged strips of washed and dried seaweed, or in powdered form. Raw agar is white and semi-translucent. For making jelly, it is boiled in water at a concentration of about 0.7-1% w/v (e.g. a 7 gram packet of powder into 1 litre of water would be 0.7%) until the solids dissolve, after which sweeteners, flavouring, colouring, and pieces of fruit may be added. The agar-agar may then be poured into molds or incorporated into other desserts, such as a jelly layer on a cake.

Usually I use 1 Tbsp for 1 cup of liquid, sprinkling the flakes onto the liquid without stirring and letting it simmer at medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then stir until all the flakes are dissolved. I prefer flakes to leaves, believing that they can be used quicker and without any fuzz. Always works well.

Source(s): Own experience

3 teaspoons of flakes is equal 2 teaspoons of powder,this was a hard find through search the web