Cream of Chicken Soup for the Heart and Soul:
1 hour 15 min prep
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 cup grated raw potatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups nonfat milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
1. In a large pot with water to cover, poach chicken breasts until done; 10-15 minutes. Cool and cut into bite sized pieces.
2. Reserve broth and add water to equal 1 1/2 quarts. (6 cups) Add chicken bouillon granules and simmer until dissolved.
3. In a smaller pan, mix 2 cups of the stock with grated potato. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until potato is tender and stock in thickened. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
4. Add potato puree back to reserved chicken stock.
5. Stir into the now thickened stock, the garlic, onion, celery, zucchini, carrots, parsley, thyme, basil, pepper and mushrooms. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
6. Stir in milk. Do not let mixture boil.
7. Stir cornstarch into cold water. Add to stock and stir quickly.
8. Add back chicken pieces and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened; about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
9. Serving size = 1 cup.