Opening a bank account without id ?

My boyfriend and I went into the Alliance & Leicester earlier this week t open a joint bank account. He's already got an account with them; my current account is with another bank. We were taken through the whole application, but not once was I asked for any id...is this normal? I would have thought I'd... show more My boyfriend and I went into the Alliance & Leicester earlier this week t open a joint bank account. He's already got an account with them; my current account is with another bank. We were taken through the whole application, but not once was I asked for any id...is this normal? I would have thought I'd have to give them passport, driving licence, proof of address etc, but I didn't!! This struck me as a bit odd....
Update: The reason it surprised me so much is, a couple of weeks ago I tried to register at ou local video shop and had to provide a ridiculous amount of things to prove who I was.....