Are you able to 'negative gear' property in the UK?

i.e. offset tax with the costs in an investment flat - if I pay tax on a £30,000 income and then an investment flat costs £10,000 to upkeep it counts as a negative investment and therefore you only pay tax on an income of £20,000.
4 answers 4