Why is a prison sentence called "porridge"?

Because that's one of the meals the prisoners are served,and it's that or nothing-no choices.

Because in the old days when criminals were really punished the main diet was a porridge type food called gruel. It was the poorest meal you can have. I visited Melbourne Jail some time ago, which is a tourist attraction now and they had the prisoners menu on show. The most served meal was Porridge. This was amixed prison by the way, and its were Ned Kelly was executed on the prison landing in front of the other inmates.

That's what they used to be fed...when prisons were prisons.Before they became holiday camps with gyms,colour TV,

pool tables, good food.If prisons nowadays were more austere the criminals would think twice before re-offending.The sentences would n't have to be as long either.Some criminals have a better life inside than out.That should never be.

This is just a theory - could it have come from "stir" (in the sense that you stir porridge)? "Stir" also means time in prison, and comes possibly from Old English styr - punishment, or maybe from Romany words like stiraben .

because they eat lots of porridge "inside" (or they did do in years past).....doubt there's as much of it thesedays.....some prisons are more like hotels!! My ole man actually didn't mind it when he did 4 years!! It was me who had the worst deal struggling out here on my own with a baby/toddler and no money!! (he doesn't see that tho! he thinks I was out here living it up!!...yeah right!!)

• Froggy

Because that's what the prisoners used to be fed on.

All of the above are correct. It's also why prison is sometimes referred to as "Stir"

hi that's mentioned via fact the prisoner is caged in a cellular via fact the cellular doors are metallic bars such as poultry cage . if i'm incorrect i apologise yet that's what I certainly have continually been led to have faith, ww

Trick question. It's NOT called porridge. Not falling for that one.

ronnie barker in slade prison said so maybe