How long should I wait for him to ask me to marry him?

I have been with my boyfriend for 2½ years. He has told me numerous times that I am the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with. He has told me he wants a child with me, and that he will one day marry me. I want to know from the men, why do men wait to ask, and how long is too long? I am (almost) 30 and do... show more I have been with my boyfriend for 2½ years. He has told me numerous times that I am the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with. He has told me he wants a child with me, and that he will one day marry me. I want to know from the men, why do men wait to ask, and how long is too long? I am (almost) 30 and do not want to keep biding my time if he is just saying this to keep me around. I truely believe that he loves me...how long should I wait?
Update: I've gotten a lot of great answers so far. As far as living together, I moved in a year ago. I don't know if that changes anyone's opinion or not.