Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

do rawhide dog chews dissolve once swollowed?

• Stark
    Favorite Answer

Not ALWAYS. A lot of dogs chew raw hides, and they swallow pieces of them. Most do not have a problem, but i work at a vet clinic, and we take out a lot of raw hide pieces from the intestines. Because they are tough, they do not digest well, and can cause a blockage in the intestines. If this happens and it is not taken care of it is deadly. The best thing to give your dog to chew are things they can not rip pieces off of and swallow. And if you do still give raw hides, only give them to your dog when you can supervise him. Cut off the end when it gets soft enough that the dogs and chew it off. And also throw it away when it gets small enough to swallow. I hope this helps.

Source(s): work at a vet clinic. We have removed raw hides from a dog's intestines before.

There are a few real keys to dog training, whether you are trying to train your dog to come when called, sit, stop barking or any other behavior. Understanding their importance is critical to achieving rapid results that are long lasting and help develop the bond between you and your dog.

The first is simple; you must win your dogs mind. If you don’t achieve this first then you will be struggling the all the way. When I talk about winning your dogs mind what I really mean is that your dog looks to you for all the decisions. Before you do anything else watch one of the amazing video sites that show you the 5 Golden rules to establishing yourself as the pack leader. If you aren’t putting these in place then you are setting yourself up to fail. Just at the crucial point where you really want your dog to listen they will go and do their own thing. For sure your dog may play ball occasionally or even most of the time, you may even have a dog that is obedient 99% of the time, however if you want a dog who always listens to you and does as you ask then you need to win your dogs mind.

The second key to success is to motivate your dog. It is really important that you discover what it is that your dog enjoys both in terms of exercise and play but also in terms of a reward. If you can make the experience enjoyable then you will both achieve more and look forward to training.

I suggest doggy dan's training course https://tr.im/zf6OF

No. Large pieces of rawhide have been known to cause obstructions of the airway and intestines. There are dogs known to have died through eating rawhide chews.

NO! They are a choking hazard. When large pieces are swallowed the cause obstructions. Many is the dog that had to have surgery to have a chunk of rawhide removed.

Dogs can choke on rawhide and can get intestinal blockage, but I do not know if they dissolve. I recommended not giving these to dogs, try pig ears.

• No. Most of the rawhides are made from cow skin. It's a indisgestable object and will come out in the faeces.

No....I have an English Bulldog that eats and swallows everything. My vet and several other people that I have spoke to say not to give them to your dogs. Nylabone makes a disolving bone that will break down in the stomach, I suggest those. They are more expensive but much cheaper than surgery....Trust me I know, my dog had 2 in 10 days and it cost me almost $10K. Not cheap.

Source(s): Experience

1

Source(s): #1 Dog Training Course http://DogTrainingClasses.emuy.info/?hF78

We tend to think of dog training as a series of steps for teaching particular behaviors. To teach a dog to stay in a particular position, you reward her as she remains in place for gradually longer times, at gradually greater distances, with gradually increasing degrees of distraction. Read more https://tr.im/uPp6S

Now, this is fine, training does involve teaching dogs specific behaviors with a step-by-step approach. This week, though, I’m going to discuss three mental habits that will not only enable you train more effectively but also make life pleasant for both you and your dog.

They do not dissolve - and can even swell in the digestive tract causing blockage. People buy them because dogs will chew them anyway, and they're cheap. They're dangerous, though. I avoid them.