Why do car thieves try to jam open the hood of my car from the side of the driver's side?

I have an eleven year old honda civic who has been sticking some kind of tool to jam open my hood from the side. The person who has been working on it has created a wide gap. To me, there's no point in trying to break into my car the way this mysterious individual or two was doing, but why do thieves try and... show more I have an eleven year old honda civic who has been sticking some kind of tool to jam open my hood from the side. The person who has been working on it has created a wide gap. To me, there's no point in trying to break into my car the way this mysterious individual or two was doing, but why do thieves try and break into other people's car? Why can't they car shop by the legal way?
Update: If these individuals steal parts to my car then that would cause my car to break down obviously and I won't be able to go to work and etc. What would happen to me? I mean, this car is only transportation that I've got. Why would someone do this?