No claims bonus question?

I currently have 5 years no claims bonus, but I am going abroad for a year in May. Do I need to keep my car insured throughout this time or will I still be able to use the 5 years ncb after I have had no insurance for a year? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I think this question and answer are relevant to you:

I'm Selling My Second Car And Will Not Be Replacing It. I Have Maximum Bonus - If I Buy Another in the Future Can I Still Use This Discount?

Possibly. It really depends on the gap between buying and selling. Insurers will normally honour no claims bonus if it is no more than two years old (one or two may accept a three year gap). Beyond this time the No Claims Bonus becomes invalid and you have to start all over again.

I would ask your current insurer what gap they will allow.

It might be a good idea to keep the car insured, even if you are not using it.....make sure you know how to prepare it for being idle for a year.....check with Motoring websites to find out the best way. If you feel the car is totally secure and don't insure it while you're away, make sure you keep your old insurance policy as when you re-insure you can send proof of your NCB to the company. By the way, I'd suggest looking at confused.com they saved me several hundred pounds when I renewed my insurance this year!

Most insurers recognise NCB if it's recent - up to two years' maximum break is usually honoured. So no, you don't need to keep your car insured for that particular reason... but if you're going away and you're keeping the car, I suspect it might be wise anyway!

If you are keeping your car, even though you are going away for a year speak to your insurance company about "laid up" cover.

This provides low cost cover against fire and theft whilst the vehicle is not being used and will keep your NCD in full.

If you can manage to get the car into a garage this will not cost much at all

Source(s): Personal experience
  • Fred C

You really have to check your insurance. I am a broker, and we have no problem with that here, but, you don't even have to own a vehicle to maintain your eligibility with our plan. There are places however, where the claims-free discount disappears if you put your car on lay-up (comprehensive) for more than 30 to 60 days. They then treat you as a new driver.

no you dont need to keep your car insured to continue enjoying your no claims bonus, for as long as you will be back to continue your insurance within 2 years.

• D.L.

You may be able to just leave comp coverage on the veh while your gone. Which I strongly recommend, that way your veh is covered if it suffers damage from theft,hail,vandalism,falling objects,flood,wind,or any other "acts of god." Even if you decide to cancel coverage until you return you can, and should be able to still use the claims free discount.

Source(s): Claims rep

I'd be inclined to keep the insurance up, just in case something happens to it. Don't forget, if you're going to leave it on the road it's got to be taxed, MOT'd as well.

You might find this helpful: http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/owning_a_car/main...

Yes as long as its protected, your insurance company can answer this and it should be listed on your Policy if it is.

only your agent will be able to answer this question. If he/she can't, ask them to contact the insurance company's underwriting dept and ask them. Be persistant on this...your agent works for you....make him earn your business.