Why would a mother be telling everyone that her 4 month old son just passed away?

It was in the local news paper that the baby had passed. My friend told us(me,her father,step-mother,step-brother) that while she was waiting on the mother's table she kept saying "i'm sorry i'm taking so long, my baby just died" or "did you hear that my baby just died". I'm... show more It was in the local news paper that the baby had passed. My friend told us(me,her father,step-mother,step-brother) that while she was waiting on the mother's table she kept saying "i'm sorry i'm taking so long, my baby just died" or "did you hear that my baby just died". I'm just wondering why someone would be telling everyone that a child just died?
Update: She wasn't sitting alone, my friend told me that she had others sitting with her.
Update 2: i completely under stand auntb93. That you have to tell people about it. But she just kept saying it over and over again to my friend every time she went to the table to give drinks or bring food. and it wasn't in a sad tone or anything.