Lancashire fusiliers world war 2 information?

hi i want to research some history and try to find some photos of my grandad as i didnt realy get to know him. I know he was in the world war 2 as a gunner in the lancashire fusiliers he got a medal called the burma star. i have tried the search engines for these but im not realy getting much. does anyone know of any web sites i could look at or email.

thanx

ps his name was james hargreaves

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

The BURMA STAR and the PACIFIC STAR with BURMA CLASP were alternative awards given during the Far Eastern campaign. Personnel who by the service qualified for both stars were awarded only the campaign star for which they first qualified: they were however, given a clasp to show their entitlement to the second award.

The stars were awarded for one day or more of operational service during the Burma Campaign between the 11th December 1941 and the 2nd September 1945.

The Burma Star medal has a red centre with dark blue, orange and dark blue edges. The red represents the Commonwealth Forces and the orange, the sun.

The Pacific Star has a yellow centre bounded by green each side. To the left and right of the green are sky and navy blue lines and the edges of the ribbon are in red.

The basic medals issued to soldiers who served in Burma were the BURMA STAR, the 1939-45 STAR, the DEFENCE MEDAL and the VICTORY MEDAL.

You can place requests for information on the second link provided and on the last link. Looks as though he could have been a Chindit.

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Lancashire fusiliers world war 2 information?

hi i want to research some history and try to find some photos of my grandad as i didnt realy get to know him. I know he was in the world war 2 as a gunner in the lancashire fusiliers he got a medal called the burma star. i have tried the search engines for these but im not realy getting much. does...

Source(s): lancashire fusiliers world war 2 information: https://biturl.im/W5X2f
  • Hello, I am an ex-fusilier, the only advice I could give you would be log on to the lancashire fusilier web site or even better, if you live near bury, lancashire pop into the regimental museum at the wellington barracks

• 1 decade ago

There is a fusiliers museum in Bury in Lancashire ...

Try them ...

Good luck

also channel 4 had a great programme on about the wars .. they have a data base you can access , i found my grandad in it .. it was very emotional but really great to see a record of him

good luck ... i really hope you find what your looking for .

Source(s): www.fusiliersmuseum-lancashire.org.uk/links.html channel4.com/history/microsites/L/lostgeneration/homefront/index.html -
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Everybody had to have a ration book to get basic foods such as eggs, butter and tea, and clothing. The book was divided into small coupons on each page which had to be cancelled or cut out by the shopkeeper. Each category of food had its own pages and the ration book was issued by the Ministry of Food for a year which was divided into 13 four week periods. The last year of issue was 1953/54 as rationing went on long after the war finished and in some respects was worse. Non basic foods were almost unobtainable so without a ration book you were in trouble.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To find out more about the Burma Star, click on

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/medal.htm.

If he died during the war you can find his memorial page on http://www.cwgc.org/

by entering the details you know in their search page.

You also try asking on the Forces Reunited website. Also try the Lancs Fusilliers website which someone mentioned in a previous answer.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Have you tried The Burma campaign

Source(s): The mechanic
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Leslie E. Vaughan

• 1 decade ago

If he died in the war, you could try www.cwgc.org or com, it has extensive information, for you to view.

• 1 decade ago

www.lancs-fusiliers.co.uk is a web community that has all this sort of info.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.