Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

Why has my TV developed an annoying high pitched whine? How can I make it stop?

My TV is a six year old Philips 28" wide-screen.

• R W
    Favorite Answer

I service these...any part in the horizontal circuit can vibrate at the horizontal frequency 15,750 hz...within the upper limit of human hearing. To fix, you need to figure out which part is causing this ...generally a transformer or coil. Slight pressure on the right part will often times stop this, maybe even flexing the cabinate or chassis at a corner. Many times it can be repaired with just hot glue, or superglue..so it doesnt vibrate anymore. Be careful in this area- very high voltages there.

High Pitch Noise From Tv

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): tv developed annoying high pitched whine stop: https://biturl.im/7eIUJ

There is a part inside that has a transformer to generate the extra high voltage that is used on the screen (CRT). This sometimes can make the noise. Do not play with it - up to 25,000 volts. Still holds a charge when set is switched off.

Sorry but its a repair shop job.

ive got the same problem with my philips set although its a slightly smaller screen.ive had mine about 4 years and its started doing the whining thing recently.me mrs seems to think its on its way out but a tv should last longer than that shouldnt it?

ive found sometimes turning off and on again stops it but not always.

sorry i cant help but its nice to know im not the only one with this prob.

i could always by myself a nice new flatscreen....oh waht a shame.lol. Great Excuse.

i once thought i had hearing problems due to the annoying screach that came from my tv we took it to a repair man the problem was simple and cost about 35.00 dollars which is way cheaper than a new tv my hubby tried to fix it first but could not do it..

Ya, but on our tv the rainbow was shades of gray. Do they even make Black and White TVs anymore?

could be the transformer they do whistle when faulty, some times theres plastic on the scan coils that vibrate also causing a noise , either 1 you cant do yourself

• Bill H

Not sure but you may want to confirm that you haven’t installed anything that radiates close to it.

throw it out and buy a decent LG lcd 42+ inch tv.. much better... its running near the end of its life at 6 years old....