Vehicle oil leak.?

I just discovered that my 1998 Suburu Forester has a oil leak apparently coming from the main seal. What is the best oil additive stopleak on the market to try to stop or slow the leak?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

I own a Legacy and just fixed an oil leak that was coming from the front of the engine. It was the oil pump o-ring. The oil pump is driven by the cam timing belt and is installed over the crankshaft. The little o-ring flattens over time, and the direct pressure from the pump is too much for a one inch o-ring. BTW, the main seal is installed in the oil pump housing.

For further details, go to this web site and do a search on oil pump to check out old threads. There are very helpful people in there with a lot of knowledge about Subies.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forumdisplay.p...

• Nomadd
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nothing will slow a main leak. It has to be replaced. Anything that sealed that kind of leak would also seal a whole lot of oil passages that you really don't want sealed and trash the engine.

• 1 decade ago

Your not going to fix a leak from the main seal with that kind of stuff, you need to go take it to get fixed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you can't fix a main seal leak with that junk, maybe just enough to trade it off.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

there is a product made by solderseal it called bearing and seal you can try that but the best bet is to get it fixed

• 4 years ago

looks like the thermostat caught and it stop circulating ! then after awhile it spread out and started to bypass back ! greater effective get the thermostat replaced or it would circulate away you sitting !

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.