promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Have there ever been any cases of conjoined triplets, and if so, how long did they live?

I consider this a valid question, and it deserves a serious answer (or at least serious speculation.) If twins can be conjoined (i.e. "Siamese Twins"), have there ever been records of other conjoined multiple births (triplets, quadruplets, etc.)?

Are such births always stillborn, or have they gone on to live into adulthood?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aristole University of Thessalonki, Greece. apostolos@profinet.gr

A unique case of conjoined triplets that was characterized as tricephalus, tetrabrachius, and tetrapus parapagothoracopagus is presented. Antenatal diagnosis of the conjoined triplet was made at 22 weeks of gestation with 2-dimensional ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging. Pregnancy was terminated by hysterotomy, and diagnosis of conjoined triplets was confirmed postnatally.

So it is not surprising that clear and documented cases are hard to come by, though "Gould and Pyle's Curiosities of Medicine" does cite an 1834 case in Sicily of three boys born with a single torso, two hearts, two stomachs, two lungs and three heads.

• Quackerfan6 years agoReport

Thank You for taking the time to write down the information from the documented case on the conjoined triplets question. Your answer was the by far the best one out there. Thank You Again!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Unique Case Of Conjoined Triplets

• Autumn
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I've not heard of it so im sure it could happen but would be very rare. For one to have 3 identical triplets is rare and to be conjoined that would have to be the case because the cell did not split completly 3 ways and I have never heard of 4 and up identical.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Have there ever been any cases of conjoined triplets, and if so, how long did they live?

I consider this a valid question, and it deserves a serious answer (or at least serious speculation.) If twins can be conjoined (i.e. "Siamese Twins"), have there ever been records of other conjoined...

Source(s): cases conjoined triplets so long live: https://knowledge.im/?s=cases+conjoined+triplets+s...
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I really don't know but it seems highly unlikely since conjoined twins are always identical (meaning they come from one egg). It would be hard for the egg to divide into three people.

• Becky
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I'm sure it has happened at some point in time. My guess is they would never survive. Mainly b/c the 2nd split for third baby would be a split of the 1st split, thus providing the third baby with little or no organs.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.