Eri asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Suggest some bands/artists to me?

I'm looking for new music to listen to. Please do not suggest ANY rap/R&B, religious bands, or folk music. I will listen to country, but only if it's good. None of that pseudo-patriotic america, america rah rah rah BS, thanks.

The bands/artists should have meaningful lyrics. Not necissarily sad (though I like a good emotional song), but somehow meaningful. The words mean the most to me.

After the lyrics, the melody and/or beat come in second place of importance.

If you're suggesting classical-type music, or music in a foreign language, make sure it's either very beautiful, or very climactic and exciting.

To give you an idea of what I listen to, here's the bands/artists that make up the majority of my media player: Alkaline Trio, Azure Ray, Malice Mizer, Cursive, Leah Andreone, Motion City Soundtrack, Modest Mouse, Black Eyed Peas, Gwen Stefani and Justin Timberlake (his new CD).

Thanks!

• Best answer

Here are some great bands that have some nice songs already posted on purevolume.com =) If you don't already have an account there I really suggest you look into it. It's free and it's all about music.

Bands:

Plain White T's

Brand New

Dashboard Confessional

Letter To The Editor (Althought this is a rather local band, you might find them on PV and/or myspace)

The Monday Program (Songs available on MySpace)

Hot Hot Heat

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Forgive Durden

The Hush Sound

Althought most of this stuff is pretty popular, there are great lyrics and amazing sound. =)

Source(s): purvolume.com, myspace.com
  • Aleen

I love Green Day and I also listen to these bands, so maybe you'll like 'em too. The Beatles The Who Cheap Trick Broadway Calls Dead Kennedys Pinhead Gunpowder The Network Foxboro Hot Tubs Operation Ivy Ramones Generation X The Clash Descendents Husker Du The Replacements The Mr. T Experience Weezer Nirvana Blink-182 The Influents Jawbreaker

Maybe Coldplay? They have good music with good lyrics, I think they are meaningful. And James Blunt. The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus- their song "Face down" is meaningful since the song is about an abusive relationship and the guy in the song is telling her to get out and asking him if he feels better when he pushes her around. I think the lyrics are pretty meaningful. Also maybe Hootie and the blowfish, I think their songs had meaningful lyrics as well, especially "Cry", although they are a mid-90's band. Maybe the All- American rejects, "move along" and "it ends tonight". The fray or Green Day too.

Beck, Guerlito remix album.

Massive Attack

Telefon Tel Aviv

Frou Frou/Imogen Heap

Faithless

Yeah Yeah Yeah's

Just Jack

Quatic

Aqualung

James

Guerillaz

Blur

Radiohead

Pixies

Lo Fidelity Allstars

Portishead

Jem

Zero7

Carmen Rizzo

Well, almost all music has 'meaningful' lyrics, it's all relative to how meaningful they are to you. :)

But you could try Plain White T's [especially Hey There Delilah], Panic! at the Disco, or The Hush Sound. Green Day has some with 'heavy' topics, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Happy Hunting! :)

Feel free to message me if you'd like more!

• ?

try Badly Drawn Boy or Crowded House's Recurring Dream album, Excellent dreamy lyrics. Blue Rodeo are a roots rock band based in Toronto with a country flair, and their Five Days in July album of The Days in Between album have deep lyrics on the breadth of the human experience.

My personal all-time favorite artist is Elton John. I also like any music from the 80's. I think it's fun music. Check out the music channels on your cable/satellite tv (if you have them). They usually have several genres of music to choose from, and they always put the name of the song and the artist that sings it, on the screen while it's playing.

Classic Genesis, with Peter Gabriel on lead vocals.

How about Coldplay ( X&Y), or Rascal Flatts (Melt) those are some amazing cds. Even Snow Patrol

• CF_

if you want meaning full lyrics.. U2 is probably the best you will ever get.. very intelligent

INXS is good too.. they have been around for a while but have a hot new lead singer...

the saddest song I have ever heard is "dancing with tears in my eyes" by Ultravox... I wont tell you what its about but if you figure it out you will be BAWLING...