What do muslims do during Ramadan in parts of the world where the sun doesn't set at this time of year?

• Favourite answer

Thank you for this question.

The sactioned method used by most in the international community is to go by the times of sunrise and sunset in Mecca.

If you live in a country that has territories like this it would be good to contact a local Mosque and ask what the accepted approach is for your locality.

And Allah knows best.

Peace and Blessings,

Salim

No body actually lives on the north or south Pole.

It is difficult for Muslims to observe Ramadan in northern or southern countries.

Any Muslims finding themselves in the Arctic or Antarctic circle when Ramadan falls, could make use of a 'get out clause' covering people in transit.

I once had fun when waiting to board an Emirates flight to Dubai on the first day of Ramadan.

We were in the departure lounge at Manchester airport and most of my fellow travellers were on their way to Sri Lanka or Australia for Christmas. I jokingly suggested that the airline might not serve food. 'Why not?' 'Because it's Ramadan.' I was amazed to see them rush off to stock up on Cholesterol (Full English Breakfast) - but I had only been joking - honest.

They have the option to follow the watch at Makkah and observe the hours as in Makkah. The religious edict was obtained by British Admirality during 1st World War when Muslim naval staff stationed at the North Baltic requested to be transferred to South for the month of Fasting. The problem was referred to Makkah, through diplomatic channels and the Edict obtained.

We're only days out of the fall equinox. There is no such part of the world at the moment - the sun goes down everywhere on the globe, from the arctic circle to antarctica.

if anyone lives in any such country, then they should follow timings of the country Closest to them geographically, where sun does rise and set. and then ALLAH knows Best. Peace to All.

I lived with some muslims once. They go by the clock.

Well, perhaps they shouldn't be living there. After all, those countries aren't arabic.

Other than that, if they follow the strict letter of the law (to avoid displeasuring the tyrant), they'll starve.

I'd imagine they get pretty hungry.

Who cares???

Says it all...illogical