Are there any recognised baby names with bad meanings, like "stupid", "ugly" or "unwanted"?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I've been looking at baby names as i'm expecting a child in April next year and realised that the meanings of all names are all so dull or sickeningly flattering. I was just ...show more
Best Answer
  • M J answered 8 years ago
Names to avoid:
Agrippa:meaning sick or painful
Andromache:meaning she who fights against men
Audrey:closely assosiated with the word tawdry
Bertha:has come to be assosiated with "Big Bertha"
Calvin:meaning little bald one
Cameron:meaning crooked nose
Campbell:meaning crooked mouth
Cassandra:meaning entangler of men
Claud(e):meaning crippled
Deidre:possibly meaning brokenhearted
Desdemona:meaning ill fated
Electra:has come to be assosiated with Freud's Electra comlex
Emily:meaning rival
Emlyn:meaning rival
Jezebel:meaning domination
Job:meaning persecuted
Jocasta:possibly meaning woe sdorned
Kennedy:meaning ugly head
Mara:meaning bitter
Melville:meaning bad town
Patsy:means homosexual in australia
Persephone:means bearer of death
Sorrel:probably meaning sour
Tristram:probably meaning sad
Uranus:simply because of how some people pronounce it!!

Source:

the virgin bookm of baby names by emily wood
  • 6
  • Comment

Other Answers (18)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • DS answered 8 years ago
    Adolf? Myra?
    • 10
    • Comment
  • KittyMom answered 8 years ago
    The only thing I was told is watch their initials, you wouldnt want to name your child for example........
    Adom Samone Sattler= ***
    • 6
    • Comment
  • Sherry answered 8 years ago
    The name Medusa brings about bad images.

A few others:
    ACACIA f English From the name of a type of tree, ultimately deriving from Greek ακη (ake) "thorn, point".

BIFF m English From a nickname which was based on the English word biff, which means "punch, hit, strike".

BLAKE m English From a surname which meant either "black" or "pale" in Old English. A famous bearer of the surname was the poet and artist William Blake.

ANGRA MAINYU m Near Eastern Mythology Means "evil spirit" in Avestan. In Persian mythology Angra Mainyu was the god of darkness, death and destruction, the enemy of Ahura Mazda.

AZAZEL m Biblical Hebrew Means "scapegoat" in Hebrew. This is the name of the recipient of a sacrificial goat in the Old Testament. The identity of Azazel is not clear; it may in fact be the name of the place where the goat is to be sacrificed, or it may be the name of some sort of evil desert demon.

CHERNOBOG m Slavic Mythology Means "the black god" from Slavic cherno "black" and bog "god". Chernobog was the Slavic god of darkness, evil and grief.

LOKI m Norse Mythology Meaning unknown, possibly derived from the Indo-European root *leug meaning "to break". In Norse legend Loki was a trickster god associated with magic and fire. Over time he became more and more evil, and he was eventually chained to a rock by the other gods.

Source(s):

www.behindthename.com
    • 4
    • Comment
  • carolinethompson83 answered 8 years ago
    Fanny, Willy or Dick!
    • 6
    • Comment
  • timone answered 8 years ago
    Tony
    Gordon
    George
    Bill
    Ronald
    John
    Margaret

Do you see the pattern
    • 11
    • Comment
  • Tavita answered 8 years ago
    I knew someone who named their little boy Travisty. Spelled correctly travesty means disaster.
    • 4
    • Comment
  • MrJohnson answered 8 years ago
    Damien is a bad one....means the unborn ..... thats why kids
    in horrow movies are named damien
    • 7
    • Comment
  • ladyvickolay answered 8 years ago
    There are some names like:
    Jabez - a child of sorrow
    Jacob - a supplanter
    Icabod - glory has departed
    Nabal - Foolish
    Babel - Confusion
    Mara - Bitterness
    • 2
    • Comment
  • tfd answered 8 years ago
    Kerry Katona
    • 5
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Angela D answered 8 years ago
    Brendon- Man with smelly hair.
    Cameron - Man with a bent nose.
    Suri (a la Cruise) -sound very the word for pig in Punjabi.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • katrina answered 8 years ago
    I don't know any but I know that a meaningful name can build confidence in your child. For instance once I was teaching a class of 4 and 5 year olds and as I told then where their names came from or meant (to the best of my knowledge that is) you could see their little faces light up. Being a christian I was able to tell them that Matthew John and Phillip were Jesus apostles and Sarah was such a strong and kind woman and the wife of Abraham - who most of us are descended from, Ruth, Rebecca and Eve Naomi and Rachel were a mighty woman that did so much good. I remember a friend of mine - a new mother calling her baby Aime because it means "beloved", and another calling her daughter Jessica because it means "gift". I think giving your child an inspiring name is a great plan as it gives them something to live up to. Pray for guidance.
    • 5
    • Comment
  • Iain N answered 8 years ago
    I would avoid Cain.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Mina222 answered 8 years ago
    not exactly "stupid" but Mallory doesnt have a good meaning.. it means "unfortunate" or "unlucky"

Source(s):

mom x3
    • 3
    • Comment
  • x x answered 8 years ago
    Hi
    I am expecting my first child next April and I think trying to find a name is so hard! It's like everyone has a meaning for something, or somebody has known someone horrid with a name you love...
    Hope you find the perfect name for your little one.
    Good luck!
    • 1
    • Comment
  • alok n answered 8 years ago
    in rural india there was a practice of naming childeren wid names very bad meanins like,garbage-kachru,anchhai-unwanted,and so on. Reason for this,they thought this helps there child to live longer as the child death was too much that time .My grandma and some of my cousins had suc h names.

Source(s):

• 1
    • Comment
  • The Reverend Soleil answered 8 years ago
    I've always been amused by parents who name their daughter "Dolores", which in Latin means "pain".....
    • 2
    • Comment
  • lonely as a cloud answered 8 years ago
    well i think cameron means crooked nose!
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Gunther answered 8 years ago
    Judas
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock