Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

landlords rights to sell property prospective buyers to view?

my tenant will only allow prospective buyers of my property entry on sundays at 9 pm what is the law on this

I agree with your tennant. When my landlady put her house on the market, the agent wanted to bring people in an ungodly hours, (sunday mornings at 9 and at lunchtime). I was paying my landlady a reasonable rent, I kept the place neat and clean, maintained the garden and all, so I expected to be treated with common courtesy. I must say that she was okay with our demands, it was the agent who was rude.

If your tennant is paying his rent he deserves to be treated as if the house is his. Alternatively, you can always give him notice and then sell the house once it's empty.

Generally a tenant must be afforded 24-48 hours notice of a visit. Usually between 9 AM and 5 PM.

Check with your local property management association or other building owners to find out the norm in your area.

Typically this aspect should be part of the tenant's lease contract.

Good luck!

I have been in your situation once or twice !

I have always given notice to the tenant and sold the property empty ! You can make the house look good without people in it that really have not got your interest at heart !

On the other side I have also never been inclined to buy a house that was let while I was viewing it !

Good luck !

• Marc F

The guys that are telling you that your tenant is right are probably tenants themselves. Most states require "reasonable notice" which may be 48 or 24 hours. A few states (mine included) don't require any notice and it's just a courtesy. Don't forget that it is YOUR house. YOU own it and YOUR name is on the mortgage! If you want to sell your house, that is your right.

Unfortunately the tenant Has to agree to you coming into the property unless in case of emergency.

"reasonable access" is the phrase.

I think for non-intrusive work, such as a viewing, they are entitled to 7-14 days notice. They may claim 28 days but thats unrealistic, its not like you'd be turning thier water off or anything.

Might be worth getting your solicitor to send them a recorded letter so you can proove they know the situation in case things get funny in the future. Go for 3 days notice "because of the nature of house viewings"

Might be easier to put them on notice if you can afford it.

Yes i have to agree with the tenant as we had our lives turned upside down when a landlord done this to us, they wouldnt let us out of the tenancy early either. Best way is to admit defete and give them notice, get them out, THEN try to sell !! put yourself in their shoes would you like to have people walking around your place when its not you choice !!

It depends on the terms of the tenancy agreement. From memory, ours stipulates "reasonable" access for viewings - with 48 hours' notice - in the final two or three months of the contract.

• ASHLEY

Your tenant can refuse all unwelcome visits except for your maintainance check.

A vacant possession is required to sell your house.

Some buyers will be put off if they think that your lodger will squat.

You don't say if your tenant is a sitting tenant. Different rules for them I'm afraid but I'm not sure if they can restrict viewings.