Why don't the people of Newcastle smile?

On Tuesday, a friend and I were stuck in Newcastle, and were rather bored, so we decided to conduct a highly unscientific experiment.

Over the course of a couple of weeks, we'd noticed that people on the Tyne and Wear Metro look, almost without exception, unhappy. We determined to walk through the city smiling at people, to see how many would smile back. After about two-and-a-half hours of experimentation, we had counted five smiles. And some of those were questionable.

Admittedly it could just be that we were scaring people - it must be pretty unnerving to have two people suddenly smile at you as you're walking along - but I feel there must be something deeper going on.

So: Why don't the people of Newcastle smile?

Sorry, which Newcastle Upon Tyne is this then?? It is a far cry from the Newcastle that I love!! The people there are lovely and have a fab sense of humour. I work in Longbenton, Newcastle Upon Tyne and I love my job to bits!!! Maybe they sensed that you and your friend didn't like their beloved City!!!

At least you got five questionable smiles. Try the same experiment at paddington station on a monday morning and you will be lucky to get half a smile in double the time, after which you and your friend might get bungled away to the nearest mental hospital under the mental health act. It's called stress, anxiety, and all the other things that make up life in 21st century England, its wiped the smile off our faces.

Coz you should be in the Aussie Newcastle. Even with their problems with unemployment and what not, they still have a great football team (rugby league) and one of the prettiest women ever to win a beauty pagent (Jennifer Hawkins Miss Universe 2004). So why don't you get yourself down there and give your 'smile' testing some further study...

Don't ever conduct your survey were I live they would probably thump you first then ask you why you smiled next, depends what day it was I suppose, does anyone smile on a work day these days, weekends are for smileys the world over, Newcastle people are lovely maybe you should have tried speaking to them.

Because its grim up north!!

take pity... there really is not a lot to smile about in Newcastle! The people are very friendly, but its a bit bleak!

• Try doing it on a Friday, I bet you get more smiles especially down the bigg market

Catch them in the Bigg Market or on the Quayside at the Weekend. They know how to enjoy their weekends.

Because they are always drunk on Newcastle Beer.

That's really good beer by the way!

Take a look in the mirror. I have never found this.

• Fluffy

edit: misunderstood the question.

They were probably just stressed people trying to get to their destination.