Is anyone familiar with the verb "to furtle" (if that is the spelling)?

If so what does it mean?

Furtle means to rummage around, also sometimes firkle is used. I guess it depends on dialect

Yes, I use it. I agree in that it means to rummage around, but there are two slightly different meanings within that:

you can furtle around in a cupboard looking for an object;

and you can furtle around in your partner's underwear!

The latter can be (and usually is) done without using your eyes, whereas

furtling in a cupboard probably involves all your senses!

Me? Ooh ar', I like a good furtle, me. Goes down a right treat. Dark night, full moon, nothing better than a quick furtle. Can't find it in any dictionary. I think it's like pringle, which I also can't find. Going through drawers and cupboards which don't concern you, with no malice aforethought, out of simple curiosity.

I thought your "furtle" was a bit of a "furphy" (which is also a good word,) until I looked it up & it does seem to exist!

It means to rummage around looking for something, I believe.

If you are furtling, it means you have having a good look about, a good rummage.

Hedgehogs furtle through the undergrowth, for example.

Ah, now, oi was `aving a furtle see, in this dictionary an oi came acraws this word what meens `avin a rummage about. :o)

Furtling: the use of fingers underneath cut-outs in genital areas of photos for arousal.

i think Martin is right, cant beat a good furtle about!!! i think furtle in itself is a good word, i like it. Pillock is also a good word.

I love a good furtle, me!