melas
melas asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

where did the phrase___ blue and green should never be seen___come from?

It is from the days of B & W films. Blue and green are too tonally similar and therefore can not be distinguised on B & W film.

Some say it's fashion advice;

blue and green should never be seen,

except with something in between,

or except in the washing machine!

There's also a red & green version of this phrase too.

I've heard red and green, because they clash. The Irish queen bit is because being Irish, she would have to wear green, and would have to wear the traditional royal colour or red. Sounds like the blue and green one could be from an anti-domestic violence campaign, maybe only in America, because I've never heard of it.

Blue and Green should never be seen unless you are the Irish queen feeling mean and letting off steam in your dream with your footy team.

KINKY

Don't know where from but the full quote is " red and green should never be seen -except on a fool"

so I suppose it was something to do with court jesters.

Source(s): always known it.

I always thought it was 'red and green should never be seen except on an irish queen'.

"Red and Green should never be seen as they are only worn by an Irish Queen" is the saying, meaning only Royalty could wear those two colours together.

Ireland

Popular in victorian era (provenance unknown) also Purple & green. This is as we know the victorians were (outwardly) very straight laced, and clothes/appearnaces should not be vulgar.

However on nsome people (and even rooms) it can look nice (dependent upon the shades)!!

A lady who was born in the 1880's used to say this referring to clothes. She worked as a maid in rich people's houses so I am sure she picked this up from the nobs. She was from Cornwall and had all sorts of sayings. If you took notice of all of them you would have been in a permanent state of anxiety!