Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

what did you think of President Bush's speech today?

September 06, 2006

Understanding Bush's Speech

A source within the military forwards the following observations on Bush's speech:

The "old media" and Drudge have it all wrong. Bush is not reversing course and they are not getting "Geneva Rights."

Today, the President has wagered all of his "political chips" and sided with the uniformed Combat Arms Branches instead of the JAG Chiefs.

First, whenever the President brings up that the illegal combatants are not uniform, that is a clear sign to those of us in the military that these individuals are not covered by Geneva.

Second, he is very clear that the CIA Detention program remains alive and well. ONLY after all information is obtained will they be turned over to DOD for military trial. Then they will face a death sentence.

Third, the President directly attacks the opinion by SCOTUS.

Lastly, Congress is now up against the wall. There is now a "face" that the public will see in regards to this legislation. IF Congress does not pass legislation, these 14 detainees tied to 9/11 will not receive ultimate Justice. What member of Congress wants to argue for them?

This was indeed a brilliant maneuver by Bush and I am thankful that he is running with it.

This sounds right to me. I'm not so sure Bush "put one over on the media" so much as they may have just flat out missed the story.

UPDATE: Sure enough, the White House has already issued the following email titled "Setting the Record Straight:"

*The President's Legislation Specifically Authorizes The Creation Of Military Commissions To Try These Suspected Terrorists For War Crimes. The Bill ensures that these commissions are established in a way that protects our national security and ensures a full and fair trial for the accused.

* Detainees Have Been Transferred To The Custody Of The Department Of Defense, At The U.S. Naval Base At Guantanamo Bay.

* Neither The President's Proposed Legislation Nor The Detainees' Transfer To Guantanamo Gives The Detainees POW Status. [emphasis added]

Favorite Answer

Brilliant move by a wonderful President

• -RKO-

Sophomoric, moronic babble...as usual. Nothing that emerges from that idiot's mouth is worth the energy it takes to form the stumble-bumble sentences he tries so hard to construct. This was just one more attempt to boost Bush's approval ratings before the mid-term elections, as was the incident at Heathrow Airport, which was probably fabricated by the Bushites. -RKO-

Brilliant move by a wonderful President me and gay joe think a like we both kiss butt

• Bawney

I think they would have to signed the Geneva Convention and abide by it for it to cover them as POWs.

He had a speach? Huh... Welp! I'm none the worse for wear, I suppose... No harm, no foul.

As to the stuff you have printed? Please! This crap goes on, no matter who sits in the Oval Office. Democrats and Republicans both share the blame, here.

I believe that anything that comes out of that moron's mouth isn't worth squat!

I can feel my blood pressure rising everytime I hear his voice. Ugh.

Hey, he was lying, I could tell, his lips were moving.

I thought it was pretty good.