AbsoluteMart! asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Should the NHL have expansion team in Europe?

Let's cut out the weak markets in the US such as Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, Carolina, Atlanta, Washington and move them to the northern counties of Europe (Russia, Finland, Czec Rep, Sweden, Germany! In the new Europeen Division!

• Favorite Answer

#1 that would be cool but it would need to much for travelling costs

#2 they already have elite leagues in europe

#3 There would be a ruckus deciding which language to mainly speak etc

#4 it would cost a bit to change their names to the ihl instead of the nhl

Hockey is the second largest sport in the world, and its groing by the numbers. some day i do believe they will all challenge for the cup. as a kid i always wondered if they would have own leagues like Canada, USA, Finland, Russia etc.. would and they would all have their own season and then play a big playoff for the Stanley Cup. that's something i always thought about as a kid. yes i know they have their own little leagues in Europe but I'm talking about them all challeging for the cup some day. remember thats the original name on the Cup the Chalenge Cup before Lord Stanley purchase the Cup and then they changed it to the Stanley Cup.

stephan_r>>>>>> NFL has nothing on Hockey internationaly Hockey in europe and all over the world is bigger then the NFL.most countries dont no what the NFL is and if you think they do well you sure dont no to much about anything.

I love the idea.

I would miss being able to see all the elite players at a reasonable time, but there would always be highlights.

I don't think you need to cut teams in North America to make it work, but I wouldn't shed a tear for any of the teams you mentioned.

I just wonder if the IIHF would put up some major roadblocks. There would be some strong pressure from the existing leagues.

Maybe someday, I have heard it mentioned before...

I'm sorry, that wouldn't work out.

1. There's already elite leagues there (the NHL is the best league in the world, elite leagues in other countries aren't better)

2. Travel for teams would be waaaay too difficult

3. Europe is much too large

4. Language would be difficult

That would be a great idea, I doubt it'll ever happen. The players are going to have to fly overseas to play against NHL teams in North America. The plane tickets, hotel, etc. are going to cost a lot.

I would suggest that the NHL and the elite leagues compromise on rink size and rules and incorporate into a super league. Canadian, American, Finnish, Swedish, Russian (to name some of many) divisions could be the alignment.

Interesting prospect, but i dont think it will ever happen, they have so many leagues in europe already, plus it would definetly take a toll on players traveling back and forth, im sure it would be work out in some way if it were to ever happen.

Anything would beat having a team a hockey team in Nashville, Tennessee.

They already have teams over there it is called NFL Europe. It is where they send rookies to help give them extra playing time ang it is used to improve their play making skills and it works too. watch it on ESPN they show the games on that channel.

• No. The NHL should have an expansion team in Mexico.