what can i say to an prospective employer if they say that they will give you a lower salary (vs. current)?

an investment bank is offering me a salary lower than my current employer. they are trying to pirate me by saying that it will be a more exciting and dynamic job. what do i say and do?

be professional, say that although money isn't your driving force, it is important to you, and you couldn't accept a job that doesnt at least match what you make now. then follow up by sending them a letter thanking them for the consideration and the interview.

If you have a job that pays you more and you're happy there, tell them no thank you. If they came after you and think you would be an asset to them, they'll up the offer. If they don't, you know how cheap they are and regardless of "dynamic" you may never even see a raise.

Or, you can counteroffer. Just say, "I appreciate your interest, but I would actually require x=number dollars in compensation to leave my present position."

I have taken lower paying jobs when I was not happy in the position I had when the offer came. What it really boils down to is this, can you afford the cut and do you want to make this move? If not, simply tell them you are flattered by the offer but are unable to accept at theis time.

• NC

Nothing. Tell them that you are not impressed with the offer and if they need you, they know where to find you. Then, turn around and walk away.

You tell them that you are motivated by money, and if they can't come up with a better offer, then you can't take the job.

just say sorry, i cannot afford to do that? also mention the fact that you have to check with others you have applied with, first. i bet you would get a better deal then if they really wanted you. let me know how it turns out.

I wouldn't take it. There must be a reason why they are low-balling you.