Has anyone had their car off the road, taxed, not insured and insurance company looking for payment?

I took insurance with Elephant in May 2004 and moved into a new house in February 2005. It was renewed with Elephant in May 2005 and I received my documents which were forwarded onto my new address. I failed to inform Elephant that I had moved house and supply them with my new address, so in May 2006 they sent... show more I took insurance with Elephant in May 2004 and moved into a new house in February 2005. It was renewed with Elephant in May 2005 and I received my documents which were forwarded onto my new address. I failed to inform Elephant that I had moved house and supply them with my new address, so in May 2006 they sent insurance documents to my old address which I, obviously, did not receive.
They tried to take payment for a years insurance from a credit card which has since been cancelled. Since all their correspondance was to my old address, I had no idea what was going on. Now they are wanting me to pay for insurance for the period until they cancelled the insurance.
My car was 'off the road' for a period of 2 months because I was looking to sell it. It was taxed and located on private property but was not insured. I've since decided to keep the car and have insured it elsewhere. Elephant will not accept this to right off the debt. Has anyone else had this issue & how was it resolved?
Update: I contacted Elephant who will right off the debt but only if I can prove that it was 'off the road'. I can't, it was taxed therefore I didn't need a SORN. DVLA have confirmed that I don't need a SORN but they've got a department which deals with these kind of things. So I've to send... show more I contacted Elephant who will right off the debt but only if I can prove that it was 'off the road'. I can't, it was taxed therefore I didn't need a SORN. DVLA have confirmed that I don't need a SORN but they've got a department which deals with these kind of things. So I've to send them a letter and they'll see what they can do. I was just wondering whether anyone else had the same problem.
Update 2: I've paid the payment because it went to a credit recovery agency because obviously Elephant were not getting a response to written correspondence, since I no longer live at the address they have on file. Elephant are not concerned about my change of address because I no longer have insurance with them. ... show more I've paid the payment because it went to a credit recovery agency because obviously Elephant were not getting a response to written correspondence, since I no longer live at the address they have on file. Elephant are not concerned about my change of address because I no longer have insurance with them. That's not the issue. They are willing to write the debt off if I was insured elsewhere at the time of their policy, I wasn't because I didn't insure it from May to July, since I was looking to sell it and had other means of transport.
Or that my car was off the road. It's proving that the car was off the road because I didn't need a SORN because it's taxed till September.
Update 3: "It's pretty darned hard to sell a car unless it can be test driven; sounds like during this time, if there was an accident, Elephant would have had to cough up the money for the accident - you're going to have to cough up money for the time the policy was in effect. " No Elephant... show more "It's pretty darned hard to sell a car unless it can be test driven; sounds like during this time, if there was an accident, Elephant would have had to cough up the money for the accident - you're going to have to cough up money for the time the policy was in effect. "

No Elephant wouldn't have had to cough up anything. I wasn't in receipt of any insurance documents from them. I never renewed my insurance with them. They sent documents to my former address and assumed because they had heard nothing from me, that I was happy to renew another years insurance with them. They really should have cancelled the insurance policy when they failed to collect payment from a cancelled credit card but didn't and continued to insure me until they decided to cancel it because they hadn't heard from me. The car was never advertised for sale. I was looking to trade it against a new car and took it off the road so as not to run up unnecessary mileage. Which I'm entitled to do.