Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health & Beauty · 1 decade ago

Why cant people from different races donate organs to each other?

I have a mixed race son. I am black and his father is white. I just wonder where I would find a donor if he ever needed a major organ tranplanting. Apparently organ donation cant go across races, something to do with tissue differences. But can anyone explain exactly why this is??

They can - in theory. Whether two people are compatible to be donor/recipient is not related to race but basically to blood and tissue typing.

The problem with inter-race donation is that the majority of people in different races have different blood and tissue types. But that is not to say that there are no donors available outside a given racial group. A mixed race person would inherit a blood and tissue type from either one or other of the parents and therefore the donor population for that person might be in the predominantly black or white race depending on his particular blood and tissue type.

It might also be worth mentioning here that recent DNA studies have shown that an incredibly high number of apparently white people actually have some black ancestry, maybe three or more generations back, and that some of these people at least may still have blood and/or tissue types which are more commonly associated with black people. This occasionally manifests itself when two white parents produce a very obviously "black" baby - the genes are still there to do this!

Source(s): BSc Physiology and Biochemistry
  • wrkey

Organ donations can certainly occur across races. The problem with all organ transplant is that the receiving body views the new organ as a 'forgein body' and attempts to 'kill it off' much like a bacteria or viral infection.

In order to receive an organ donation, there are a multitude of test that must be done to determine all the various factors that could prompt the body to reject the new organ. These factors include, blood type, tissue type, genetics, previous medical history of both patients, etc.

Hope this helps.

organ donation is a complex matter, it depends on the compatibility of organisms, it means that the donnor has to be similar in molecular aspects to the receptor otherwise the organ will be rejected, it would be easier to receive an organ from a brother or a parent than a stranger, but that`s why donnation lists exist, to find adequate donors and receptor all over the world

• chanto

Mixed Race Bone Marrow

You are partially right, race can be a factor as it can affect the blood and tissue types, but it isn't impossible to have a donated organ from a different race:

http://www.organdonor.gov/myths_and_facts.htm

• Breeze

I thought it was just based on blood type, although I have heard that when a bone marrow donation is required, that race does come into it, think you need to check this out on the web in general, or ask for a better explanation from your doctor.

Hope your son and you never need to go through that experience though.

It doesn't matter what your race or ethnicity is, the culprit is our immune system itself. Even same blood type individuals can't easily donate organs from one another, it's how our body should react to the donated organ. Our body senses that donated organ as to be "foreign" and that's where our immune system plays role. Its job is to protect our body, thus a not properly matched organ is rejected rightaway.

I think whoever told you that doesn't have all the facts. I am going to call my friend at the organ donation organization in my state and check. I think that race is not a factor that they have to check. It only matters on blood type and antibody matches.

• baty

i'm sorry yet you're scientifically uninformed. that is termed the concept of evolution because it has no longer, can't be shown, through the undeniable fact that is done of holes. you're making it sound like merely evolutionist count on technological understanding yet in case you probably did your analyze lots of the discovery's you tout were got here upon with suggestions from Christan scientists! The Bible instructed us the earth develop into round and suspended in the area lengthy previously scientists figured it out. the reality is technological understanding and the Bible are continually in team spirit, even if that is actual technological understanding no longer assumptions in accordance to an evolutionary view. I recommend in case your ideas is as open as you little doubt trust it to be you study The case for creation with suggestions from Lee Stroble

they can donate but a match in both tissue typing and blood typing will be more likely in the same race. depending on antigen/antibodies present

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a...

I use to work in blood transfusion dept in hospital and we would always run extra tests on non whites incase they had rare antibodies, we got accused of being racist all the time so we use to give demos on what happens when you get it wrong.