promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do insurance companies charge more for sports cars?

Do insurance companies in the US charge more for sports cars than they do for passenger cars?

Update:

yep...I'm a single male under the age of 25...the stereotypical "unsafe driver", even though I have never gotten pulled over in my life

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Usually the answer is yes. Certain cars that younger drivers tend to drive (cavalier, civic, hyundai, mitsubishi) are usually more as well. Insurance companies use statistics and they are not in your favor. You are unfortunately the exception not the norm as far as your driving records go.

Some companies charge for performance as well:

-horsepower to weight ratio

-2 seater vs 4 (in fairness some companies charge less for a 2 seater)

Sports cars are usually more to repair (more complexity mechanical and sheetmetal wise, as well as usually being made in smaller numbers with parts that are not as readily available).

Have your company run some quotes on cars that you would consider. And if you are close to 25 yrs old, have them quote you at that age as well. And also plan on the possibility of getting pulled over now that you have the cops attention in your shiny new sports car.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • ?
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

I recommend that you try this site where you can get quotes from different companies: http://insurecheap.us/index.html?src=2YAwieokZQ04

RE :Do insurance companies charge more for sports cars?

Do insurance companies in the US charge more for sports cars than they do for passenger cars?

Update: yep...I'm a single male under the age of 25...the stereotypical "unsafe driver", even though I have never gotten pulled over in my life

1 following 13 answers

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Compare quotes for free at - INSURERATESNOW.INFO-

RE Do insurance companies charge more for sports cars?

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

Check out a sports car owned by someone under 25.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes! and a car with a 5 speed is deemed a sports car (at a higher rate) than the same car with an automatic.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. In fact, if you take the same car, it is LESS for a 4 door than a 2 door.

• 6 years ago

Get insurance quotes

• 1 decade ago

Of course, especially if you were a young, single male. The higher the risk, the higher the insurance costs.

• 1 decade ago

of course. they know you are going to drive faster and it is a sporter car

• jgmafb
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.