Two terms from the Yorkshire West Riding: what is a royd? And a clough?

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

    Rod is a word of Old English origin, the medieval name given to an assort -a piece of land cleared of trees-was distinguished by its being enclosed from the open land held in common adjacent to a village. Very few enclosures named "rod" appear after the Black Death (1349), perhaps because that upheaval put an end to large scale asserting.

    The clearance of oak trees and the enclosure of the cleared land which became known as "Aycrode" is thus of very early date. About the fourteenth century the sound change characteristic of Yorkshire dialect converted 'rod' into 'royd', and the royds now to be found in West Yorkshire are almost too many to count.

    Found similar answers on 2 sites for Royd I thought it was where 2 rivers meet so I learned something as well.

    Meaning 'at the clough', a locational name from a hillside or ravine between hills.

    Seems I could only find what they mean from surnames. :)

  • 3 years ago

    Meaning Of Clough

  • 1 decade ago

    i lived on hardings royd in keighley.then there's roydings avenue,i think it's related to being near a river but not 100% sure.clough thats

    something to do with the land as well.A bit like LEY means small settlement..

  • 1 decade ago

    i was born and bred in leeds and i've never heard of those words on their own...

    though i have heard them connected to other words...

    but i'm sorry, don't know the definitions...

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    try visit Emmerdale set where they film it reply back

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.